Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I find the form 1040ez in turbotax self-employed? I have 1099 and W2 income as well as taxable scholarship income that I must report

I became a full-time student in the fall of 2016, with a mixture of W2 and taxable stipend income from my university. However, I was still self-employed and regularly received 1099 income. I cannot find the 1040ez form in the Self-employed version of turbo tax.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Where do I find the form 1040ez in turbotax self-employed? I have 1099 and W2 income as well as taxable scholarship income that I must report

TurboTax will subtract the amount in box 2 (or box 1) of your 1098-T from the amount in box 5 and enter the result  on line 7 of form 1040 with the SCH notation.

If that number is not the correct amount to be reported on line 7, add the additional amount at scholarships and grants in the follow up interview. It will take several screens to get there. The screen will be titled "Did YOUR NAME receive a scholarship or grant in 2016". The screen will already show the box 5 amount and give you another box to enter "Other scholarships/grants/fellowships". That will be followed by a screen where you can enter the amount not used for expenses. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

TurboTax will subtract the amount in box 2 (or box 1) of your 1098-T from the amount in box 5 and enter the result  on line 7 of form 1040 with the SCH notation.

If that number is not the correct amount to be reported on line 7, add the additional amount at scholarships and grants in the follow up interview. It will take several screens to get there. The screen will be titled "Did YOUR NAME receive a scholarship or grant in 2016". The screen will already show the box 5 amount and give you another box to enter "Other scholarships/grants/fellowships". That will be followed by a screen where you can enter the amount not used for expenses. 

The Self-Employed Edition is the highest of all the paid editions.  It can handle a Form 1040, a 1040A, or 1040EZ.

TurboTax will choose the proper form depending on the items in your return.   If you were self-employed, all items will be reported on a Form 1040.

The 1040EZ is the simplest basic tax return.  It cannot handle self-employment income.   Everything on a  Form 1040EZ can be handled on the fully-featured Form 1040.

ok....but WHERE do i find this form within the self-employed version? is it the case that the 1040 form encompasses all other income, and that's why it is not showing up as a separate form in this turbotax interface? in that case where should I enter the taxable stipend amount that I have been instructed to report? it is not 1099 income. My only point of guidance, provided by my university, has been this:

How you report any taxable scholarship or fellowship grant income depends on which return you file.

Form 1040EZ.   If you file Form 1040EZ, include the taxable amount in the total on line 1. If the taxable amount was not reported on Form W-2, also enter “SCH” and the taxable amount in the space to the left of line 1.
Form 1040A.   If you file Form 1040A, include the taxable amount in the total on line 7. If the taxable amount was not reported on Form W-2, also enter “SCH” and the taxable amount in the space to the left of line 7.
Form 1040.   If you file Form 1040, include the taxable amount in the total on line 7. If the taxable amount was not reported on Form W-2, also enter “SCH” and the taxable amount on the dotted line next to line 7.
 etcetc.

You enter it in the appropriate interview area, and TurboTax will enter it on the proper 1040 form and it will include any SCH abbreviation by it where applicable.

Your paragraph above mentions "any taxable scholarship or fellowship grant income".

So you are reporting a scholarship/grant?    What form was your "taxable stipend amount" reported to you on?  Do you have a 1098-T?

yes I do, and the taxable stipend amount is included as part of the grants/scholarships amount listed in Box 5 - although when entering this information, turbotax asks me if any of the Box 5 amount was already listed as W2 or 1099 income (which it is neither, and I haven't yet listed it anywhere, but i do still have to report it).

Entering it into Box 5 (along with the other data on your 1098-T)  is reporting it.    TurboTax should know how to handle all that when you enter the data fields from the 1098-T and answer the followup interview questions.  

You should phone TurboTax Support and speak to someone in person who can talk you through it and tell you how all that is going to flow from the 1098-T to your return.  They open at 5 AM Pacific (8 AM Eastern.)

FAQ:  What is the TurboTax phone number?
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263</a>

Or I'll see if I can get someone who can explain it in more detail to you in this thread later today.

So none of your scholarship or aid was reported to you on a W-2 or Form 1099-MISC?    One of the followup questions after the 1098-T will ask if any of it was already reported in your return on one of those.  Or was some of it reported on one of those forms, but you just haven't gone through the W-2 and 1099-MISC interviews yet?   Is that what you're asking?

In any case, I've asked someone familiar with that topic to assist you in this thread during the day, or you can talk to someone in realtime at Customer Support when they open.

@jordanmorton82
I see Hal_Al has left you an answer above which explains how that is handled as you proceed further into the followup interview questions after the 1098-T.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies