turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

evany22

So I don't understand how my state and federal tax is less than what you charged me which was the 125 along with 51 more dollars? To put this as a picture my state was 358 but got 307 my federal was 1

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
evany22

So I don't understand how my state and federal tax is less than what you charged me which was the 125 along with 51 more dollars? To put this as a picture my state was 358 but got 307 my federal was 1

They actually took $81 from me never trusting you guys again.!

@ evany22 wrote:  "So I don't understand how my state and federal tax is less than what you charged me which was the 125 along with 51 more dollars? To put this as a picture my state was 358 but got 307 my federal was 1"

This is a user community forum, not a direct route to TurboTax Support, but we may be able to explain what you are experiencing, once we understand it.

I don't understand your figures you provided above other than the $125 (was that your fees?), which I'll explain below.  But if you have TurboTax fees that you chose to pay out of your Federal refund, it can only come out of the Federal refund.   You cannot pay any fees out of a state refund.  TurboTax cannot take anything out of a state refund, since TurboTax never touches a state refund.  A state refund comes directly from the state tax agency to your bank account (or card).  

Have you received both your Federal and state refunds in your bank account (or card)?   They come in separate deposits usually on different days.

You wrote:  "My state was 358 but got 307"

If your state refund was less than what is shown on your state return, then it's because the state must have changed something, in which case they should send you a letter.   Does your state return show $358 on the refund line?  

You wrote:  "My Federal was 1"

I don't understand.   Does that mean you received a deposit of $1 after payment of $125 in fees?  Or did your question cut off any additional digits when you posted it?

Look at your Federal return Form 1040, Line 35a to see the amount of your Federal refund at the time it was filed and before the payment of TurboTax fees.

You appear to have used Online Deluxe.   Is that correct?   If so, here are typical fees in Online Deluxe if you filed prior to March 1:

Federal return preparation:  $40

State return preparation:  $40

Option to pay fees out of the Federal refund:  $40 (or $45 for California filers, where it is bundled as "Premium Services.")

Plus possible sales tax

Did you use all 3 of the above, and does that explain your $125 fee?     If you chose to pay out of your refund, it comes out of the Federal refund.

evany22

Yes my question was cut off my federal was 1447 but received 1,322 I understand 125 was taken out but I don't understand why $81 extra was taken out?

@evany22  wrote:

Yes my question was cut off my federal was 1447 but received 1,322 I understand 125 was taken out but I don't understand why $81 extra was taken out?

If you used Online Deluxe, and if your fees were $125 as I outlined in my answer above, then 1447 - 1322 = 125.  So that looks like it is correct in regard to the Federal refund.

Where are you getting the $81 shortage?  What does that refer to?   Is the state refund you received $81 less than the refund amount on your state return? 

If your state refund was $81 less than it was supposed to be from what is shown on your state return, then the state should send you a letter in the next few weeks.   Or you can phone them if you want to ask about it.

FAQ:  How do I contact my state department of revenue?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

evany22

Yes the $125 was the fee but the $81 was not

Yes I did receive them separately but if you add them together

1,805 minus 125 equal 1,680

If taken out of federal

1447 minus125 equal 1,322

I get the correct amount from which they took

For my state I was supposed to get 358 but received 307.

358 minus 307 equal 51

Also on form 8880 line 11 it says 1,828 they refund me wrong?

Excuse the $81 the correct one is $51

Don't add the 2 refunds together, they come from 2 different places.  Adding them together just confuses things.

If the state reduced your refund by $51, they are the only ones who can tell you about it--either in a letter they will send, or you can phone them, if you wish.  I left a link in my comment above that has contact info to phone your state tax agency.

You also wrote: "Also on form 8880 line 11 it says 1,828.  they refund me wrong?"

Form 8880 is the Credit for Qualified Retirement Savings Contributions.  I don't know why you are asking about that specific tax form and questioning Line 11.  And it would be very difficult in a public Internet forum like this to know if an isolated figure like that is calculated correctly or not.     Form 8880, Line 11 is a limit of the Retirement Savings Credit which is calculated on a Credit Limit Worksheet, using figures that flow from other parts of your return.  That line makes sure you don't get too much credit, since nonrefundable credits are ultimately limited by tax liability.   The actual amount of the credit that was allowed should be on the Form 8880, Line 12, and is the smaller of Line 10 or Line 11.

Here is a FAQ about the Retirement Savings Contributions Credit
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/what-is-the-saver-s-credit/01/25877

I'm a fellow user--not a tax person--but if you have additional questions about your Form 8880, I can ask someone to help you understand that form during the day.

NOTE:  Keep in mind that this is a public Internet forum, so whatever you do, do NOT post any images of your return or any personal or sensitive information in this public forum.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies