turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can I claim my spouse as a dependent?

Are you married to him?

She said: "What if your not married just the mother of the child and lived with the father of our child"
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.

Oh, I thought it was a new person adding on.

@trenttillman64   YES if you were not married and lived with him all year you are his dependent.

If you're filing a separate return, you may claim the exemption for your spouse only if they had no gross income, are not filing a joint return, and were not the dependent of another taxpayer. Exemptions for dependents. You generally can take an exemption for each of your dependents.

This was on the IRS website

If you're filing a separate return, you may claim the exemption for your spouse only if they had no gross income, are not filing a joint return, and were not the dependent of another taxpayer. Exemptions for dependents. You generally can take an exemption for each of your dependents.

@razorback_fan200 - That is not a dependent - that is taking the exemption for a spouse without filing jointly.   By doing that the joint standard deduction is lost.  It would be a very rare situation when filing separately, loosing the joint deduction and the other credits that cannot be claimed on a separate return, would outweigh the advantages of filing jointly and getting the same exemption plus other advantages.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies