turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejected e-file with error IND-032-04 - 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt'

I had filed my prior year tax return jointly with my wife. She had an ITIN back then. But a few weeks after I filed. She received her SSN. So this year, we filed jointly using our SSNs. The e-file was rejected with the error IND-032-04 - 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt'. 

Turbo tax asks me to check the last year's return for my spouse's AGI. The entered value is correct. What can I do to proceed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Rejected e-file with error IND-032-04 - 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt'

Even if you believe you entered the correct information, follow the solution below to make sure you didn't overlook anything.

1. Sign in to your account and select the Fix my return button.
  2. On the Let's fix your returns and then refile screen, select Fix it now or Continue without fixing .
  3. On the following screen, you'll have the option to select how you want to proceed with the error.
    • You can select File by mail instead to print your return as-is and mail it to the IRS. You won’t have to deal with AGI issues and can skip the rest of these instructions.

4. Or you can correct your AGI by entering the AGI from your originally-filed 2019 return (enter 0 if you didn't file last year) and select Continue e-filing to resubmit your return.
    • If you don't have a copy of last year's return, get your AGI from a free IRS transcript. On the transcript, look for the line ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME
    • Don't pull your AGI from your W-2. The same goes for 1099 forms.
    • Don't use the AGI from your amended 2019 return. Always get it from the first return you filed, even if that AGI was technically incorrect (for example, if you forgot a W-2).
    • See Special AGI Situations below for additional help.

The next screen will ask you to confirm your AGI. If it's correct, select This is my 2019 AGI

1. Follow the instructions to finish and refile your return. If your state got rejected along with your federal, we'll help you refile that too.

You also have the option of entering her prior year AGI or her prior year PIN in order to e-file.

View solution in original post

89 Replies
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Even if you believe you entered the correct information, follow the solution below to make sure you didn't overlook anything.

1. Sign in to your account and select the Fix my return button.
  2. On the Let's fix your returns and then refile screen, select Fix it now or Continue without fixing .
  3. On the following screen, you'll have the option to select how you want to proceed with the error.
    • You can select File by mail instead to print your return as-is and mail it to the IRS. You won’t have to deal with AGI issues and can skip the rest of these instructions.

4. Or you can correct your AGI by entering the AGI from your originally-filed 2019 return (enter 0 if you didn't file last year) and select Continue e-filing to resubmit your return.
    • If you don't have a copy of last year's return, get your AGI from a free IRS transcript. On the transcript, look for the line ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME
    • Don't pull your AGI from your W-2. The same goes for 1099 forms.
    • Don't use the AGI from your amended 2019 return. Always get it from the first return you filed, even if that AGI was technically incorrect (for example, if you forgot a W-2).
    • See Special AGI Situations below for additional help.

The next screen will ask you to confirm your AGI. If it's correct, select This is my 2019 AGI

1. Follow the instructions to finish and refile your return. If your state got rejected along with your federal, we'll help you refile that too.

You also have the option of entering her prior year AGI or her prior year PIN in order to e-file.

OO21
Level 1

I find myself in the same situation, I received that same message: Federal Tax Return was rejected (IND-032-04 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt'). We entered the right amount verified by the Form 1040 from 2019 and the federal tax return keeps getting rejected, we followed the "fix my return" instructions and it keeps getting rejected. Any suggestions?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If following the fix my return options does not work, you can send the return in by mail. 

If you need additional assistance, please click here to speak with customer support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
OO21
Level 1

So if I mail the same information that has been rejected through e-filing there won't be a problem? I have checked over and over to make sure everything is right and it is. Thanks in advance!

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

We understand you are having an experience with entering your AGI. Please follow the instructions in this link: AGI assistance. If this does not resolve your issue, what is the exact message you are getting? Hopefully we will get feedback and this can help us determine if there actually is a TT processing that needs to be addressed.

I am also having the exact same issue. I noticed that if I flipped the names using my wifes first then mine it fixed her section, but I still cannot get it to e-file.   This is a pain!

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Please take a look at the following link: AGI Rejection

I was VERY frustrated by the TurboTax solution for this issue.  I downloaded the transcript and had my 2019 return in hand with the same AGI.  I had the same problem last year and finally mailed both federal and state.  It took IRS until Feb 2021 to send my refund!!  Almost exactly one year from filing.  So, this year I was going to find the solution.   Here's my success .  

I went to irs.gov and created an account for both of us individually. Then I requested a new ID PIN number. for each of us.  I revised my 2021 form (by signatures); go to "more tax information"  in TurboTax to edit.  Then I resubmitted by their directions   It says IRS will issue you this  PIN but you also request one.

And it worked  both federal and state were accepted within the hour!  I wish TurboTax would further share this solution.  

stokes13677
Returning Member

We had the same problem 2 years - 2019 and now 2020 - with my wife's AGI verification for e-file.  I keep enteing the correct number and it keeps getting rejected.  The folks at TurboTax are suffering from terminal group think and head-up-the-butt syndrome.    

We tried FreeTaxUSA -- it worked.  eFile no problem. 

stokes13677
Returning Member

Typical TT "Expert"!  Re-requesting the same info that's already provided mutiple times in the thread!

stokes13677
Returning Member

Level 4

Oh, and by the way, I heard of a few people who entered 0 for their AGI and were accepted, but this didn't work for me and most others. 

I received the IND-032-04  error.  I made numerous attempts to fix the problem but continued to receive the same error with each attempt to e-file.

Finally, I came across a note that recommended logging  onto the IRS site and requesting a transcript of my 2019 taxes. It turns out that almost a year after the IRS received my return and deposited the check, I sent them for the taxes owed they still did not have my 2019 return in their system.

The next time when asked to enter our 2019 AGI during the e-file process I entered $0 for both my wife and me.  I resubmitted the return and it was accepted.  

To get a new pin from the IRS, one must have an approved mobile phone which I do not have. It will take three weeks to get the code the IRS is going to send but that is past the time that the taxes are due. My refund is going to be applied to my quarterly tax estimates so the fact that I had to guess what the estimates would be for 2021 because the IRS did NOT extend the date for estimates, this means that my first estimate has been overpaid by at least $1,000; the 2nd estimate due is supposed to be covered by my refund; and the rest of my refund will be applied to the 3rd quarterly estimate. There is going to be an enormous mess when I go to file in 2021. 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

This is just timing and should not cause tooo much harm.  However, if IRS delay is at fault for any penalties or interest, you can request waivers.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies