Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

simbarose20
Returning Member

Rejected e-file with error IND-032-04 - 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt'

Entering 0 for spouse's AGI was the only thing that worked for me.  
Married filing jointly for 2020 and 2021, first time with this error.  video explanation is NOT correct for filers who can confirm their last-year's AGI is the same as that on file with the IRS.

TurboTax, PLEASE stop ignoring this bug and treating your customers like they haven't read your troubleshooting tips and just say "There is a problem with authenticating married-filing-jointly returns with the IRS and we are working on a solution.  For now, enter 0 for your spouse's AGI if you get rejection error IND-032-04 and refile" .  Good lord, how hard is that?

Rejected e-file with error IND-032-04 - 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt'

It seems the problem is that they are asking for the SPOUSE agi.  

So the primary agi is the one shown on your 1040 line 11.  The spouse would be ZERO.    (assuming you filed together). 

I tried three times with the correct agi.  Then I tried ZERO and it worked.

So stupid! Turbo Tax please fix this!

a5teroid

I just went through this.  My 2020 taxes were filed late and have not been processed yet.

1st time that I e-filed, I used the AGI from line 11 of my 2020 return.  This was rejected with error IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records

So I went back an updated the AGI to $0 and re-filed.  This was rejected with error IND-032-04 - 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database.

So I went back into TurboTax and it asked me if I wanted to revisit my spouse's AGI.  I thought this was odd becaues I don't remember specifying a separate AGI for my spouse (we file jointly).  Also, the form said that $0 had already been used.  But I re-entered $0 anyway and re-filed and it was accepted!  Yay!!!

Instead of the TT suggested prior year AGI, which was the correct joint AGI, I cleared it to ZERO and that fixed it.  TT should fix this instead of making us figure it out for them over and over again.  Or even better fix your filing system so it does not cause the error in the first place!!

@kornylak wrote:

Instead of the TT suggested prior year AGI, which was the correct joint AGI, I cleared it to ZERO and that fixed it.  TT should fix this instead of making us figure it out for them over and over again.  Or even better fix your filing system so it does not cause the error in the first place!!

The IRS rejected the 2020 AGI not TurboTax.  The IRS will reject the 2020 AGI if the the IRS does not have the 2020 AGI for your Social Security number in their database.  That is why you needed to enter a 0 (zero) for the 2020 AGI so that the IRS would accept the e-filed 2021 tax return.

Go to this IRS website where they recommend a zero for the AGI - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/electronic-filing-pin-request

Special Instructions to Validate Your 2021 Electronic Tax Return

If your 2020 tax return has not yet been processed, enter $0 (zero dollars) for your prior year adjusted gross income (AGI).

I have filed my taxes using TT every years since 2004, the last few years electronic, including last year.  So your explanation is not correct.  Somehow the error was precipitated by TT.  And on refiling, TT proposed a default AGI of last year's value.  After a few rejections I luckily tried over ride it with zero.

Texas2015

I just entered 0 for my 2022 return. My spouse was a non-resident when we married and had no domestic income; however, we claimed her income as if she was a resident and therefore had to file by paper in 2021. My 2022 return was rejected multiple times after entering in the "correct" info based on my 2021 1040. After reading this forum, I entered "0" for both of our AGIs, and it was just accepted. One of the more ridiculous bugs since the AGI is supposed to verify your identity. 

Short answer Yes, use the new SSN. When I try to e-file I go the error IND-032-04 because the IRS has my wife ITIN and not the new SSN. In another post I found you should enter 0 when asking for your wife Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). This is the link to IRS

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/self-select-pin-method-for-forms-1040-and-4868-modernized-e-fil...

Copy/Paste from IRS

If my client had an ITIN (IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) when they filed their prior year tax return, but now has a SSN for the current filing season, what prior year AGI amount do they use?

If your client had an ITIN when they filed their prior year tax return, but now has a SSN to file their current year tax return, they should use Zero (0) as the prior year AGI amount.

Link to Turbo question that helped me:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/the-e-file-was-rejected-because-of-ind-032-04-the...

Appreciate the share! I was frustrated as well after 4 rejected submissions. This worked for us this year as well. Spouse had ITIN and received SSN last year. Rejected for spouse's AGI. Entered it correctly from 2021, entered 0 which was suggested by others, and finally went to irs.gov, created an ID.me account and then requested the ID PIN. Once received, I had to go back to Fed Tax, other tax situation and enter the ID PIN. I then entered the 2021 AGI and submitted. It worked!! Hope this works for others experiencing this issue. 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this help article.

CD/Download instructions for E-file reject IND-031-04 or IND-032-04: The AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I think I figured it out.

NOTE: This solution works in the case where last year filling was with spouse's ITIN. Filling DID get processed. And this year trying with spouse's SSN is failing due to spouse's AGI not matching.

What's happening is that TT is not v intuitive. What you need to do is make TT avoid checking your spouse's AGIs.

- If you try setting $0 AGI for both of you but your filling last year did get processed then it won't work. (because for you it did got processed and you do have a valid AGI)

- If you try setting $0 for your spouse's, it gets over written when you put yours (last year's) + filing jointly

SOLUTION: Select that spouse didn't file last year (technically that's correct since it's first year your spouse is filling with new SSN). You can do so by stating that you filled separately last year in the ONLY "verification" section on File -TT, this questions are only used by TT to know which SSN to query against which AGI. Then put the correct AGI for you from your previous return. In the end it should list your AGI but your spouse as "didn't file last year". File and enjoy!

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

We are happy to hear you found a solution that worked for you. 

@mapachueco 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I Need a new PIN, and then resend my tax file.

my spouse died in 2019 and I guess I mailed my file last year when it wouldn't go thru electroically.  How do I get a new PIN??

@brokein2020 For tax year 2019 you should have filed as Married Filing Jointly.  For tax years after 2019, if you do not have any dependents to claim on your tax return, you have to file as Single.

Since you mailed the 2021 tax return, the IRS more than likely does not have your 2021 AGI in their database.  Select any 5 digit number for the e-filing PIN and then enter a 0 (zero) for the 2021 AGI and e-file your 2022 tax return again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies