Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Recovery Rebate Credit - Where to enter in TT 2020

If you are using the Desktop program you may need to update it.  Go up to Online - Check for Updates.

I did. It's up to date.😖

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Since you continue to experience the same problem, even after following the troubleshooting steps, please click the link to contact TurboTax customer support for further assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do I have to pay tech support for reporting a flaw in the program?

@Whizkid151 wrote:

Do I have to pay tech support for reporting a flaw in the program?

What flaw are you referring to?

Trying to input CSA -1099-r info into the program. In the pull down for that component I'm trying to put "none of the above.(Oregon doesn't tax CSA income for prior to1991, but my CSA income is post 1991. When I try that it gives me the third ( credits pre-1991 ) checked and won't let me change it to "none of the above" ( actually it let's me change it and continue, but it doesn't save it. When I go back, it is back to option 3 again. AKA flaw??? AND I'm  still trying to input my stimulus check amount in. Everyone says under Fed Rev, but my TT2020 Deluxe doesn't have any pull downs for stimulus checks?????? Been using TT for more than 15 yrs, worst time ever.

chartkop

how to claim missing relief check

chartkop

where

There will be a screen with 2 boxes for each round.  If you didn't get one enter a 0 in the box.

You have to enter them or Turbo Tax will give it to you again.  They are not taxable but you may see your refund change when you enter them because Turbo Tax starts out assuming you didn't get it.

When you go through the federal review tab it will ask how much you got if any.  Enter a 0 in the box if you didn't get one.  Or to enter your stimulus payment in TurboTax, type "stimulus" (without the quotes) in the Search box, then click the link that says "Jump to stimulus."

After you have entered your tax information and are ready for the Federal Review, it will be the first question.

If you are trying to trigger it, you can go to Other Situations, answer any questions and click Done. The next automatic selection is Federal Review and it will ask about payments received.

The Recovery rebate credit is on 1040 line 30.  It either adds to your refund or reduced a tax due.

Before filing,  You can preview the 1040 or print the whole return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Follow the steps below to enter your information for the Recovery Rebate Credit.

In TurboTax Online, to get to the Recovery Rebate Credit section

• Type stimulus in Search in the upper right
  • Click jump to stimulus
  • Say YES or NO to It looks like you qualified for the stimulus, did you get any payments?
  • If you said YES TurboTax will show you the check amounts you were supposed to get.
  • If that's correct say YES. If not say NO.
  • If you say NO, enter the actual payment amounts you received.

Any stimulus amount due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your Form 1040.

The stimulus payments were advanced payments for 2020. Since the IRS did not have 2020 information when it sent out payments, the Service used 2018 and 2019 tax information with the understanding that any missing payments would be added to your 2020 tax return.

Al89
Returning Member

The recovery Rebate didn't show up after review??

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

I’m not understanding what you mean by the Recovery Rebate Credit not showing up after review.

You will not see it if you toggle back and forth on the screens. TurboTax will show you the total stimulus amount.

Go to Preview My 1040 to see the actual amount on Form 1040 line 30.

• Click Tax Tools in the left column.
  • Click Tools.
  • Select View Tax Summary in the center.
  • Go back to the left column. Select Preview my 1040.
  • Form 1040 will display. Use the slider bar to the right of the form to move up and down.
  • When you are finished viewing, go back to the left column and select Back.

If the line is blank. Check your entries. If everything is correct, then it’s possible you are not entitled to the rebate.

how high is your income - these screens will not show up if you are not eligible for the rebate; whatever you received in stimulus is yours to keep - it will not be clawed back. 

Hi, I am using the downloaded TT 2020 software, not TT online.  I did not come across any questions asking about stimulus payments under the Federal Review question.  Upon reading IRS guidelines and other sources, I believe I qualify for Recovery Rebate credit.  How can I know how the software determines me eligible or ineligible for Recovery Rebate credit?  I apologize if someone has already asked this.

@sm168 wrote:

Hi, I am using the downloaded TT 2020 software, not TT online.  I did not come across any questions asking about stimulus payments under the Federal Review question.  Upon reading IRS guidelines and other sources, I believe I qualify for Recovery Rebate credit.  How can I know how the software determines me eligible or ineligible for Recovery Rebate credit?  I apologize if someone has already asked this.

Since you are using the TurboTax desktop editions, click on Forms.

When in Forms mode, on the left side of the screen click on Recov Rebate Cr to open the Recover Rebate Credit worksheet.  The worksheet will show how the credit was calculated and the amount you are eligible to receive (if any)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies