Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ljanjich

Reporting my minor child's W2?

My 16-year old child received a W2 for $735. She's claimed as a dependent on the tax return my husband and I file jointly. Do we need to report it? If so, how, since I don't see an option to add a W2 for her (only my husband and I appear as options)? Thank you.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

You would not report her W-2 income on your tax return.

If the W-2  for $735 is the only income she received in 2017, she does not need to file a tax return UNLESS the employer withheld federal and/or state taxes. If they did, she can file a return to get a refund. 

If she files a return, she should answer "Yes" to the Personal Info questions: Can someone else can claim you as a dependent?  and "Will someone else can claim you as a dependent?".

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ToddL

You would not report her W-2 income on your tax return.

If the W-2  for $735 is the only income she received in 2017, she does not need to file a tax return UNLESS the employer withheld federal and/or state taxes. If they did, she can file a return to get a refund. 

If she files a return, she should answer "Yes" to the Personal Info questions: Can someone else can claim you as a dependent?  and "Will someone else can claim you as a dependent?".

Me08
Level 1

So then she files separately? And then would get a refund to her bank account?  And as her parent I would still claim her on my taxes like usual? 

@Me08 

You posted to a thread that is more than 3 years old.   So if you have a dependent  (under the age of 19 or under 24 and a full time student)  that worked then you have the right to claim the dependent.  They can file a return of their own  HOWEVER they must indicate that they WILL be claimed as a dependent.  Do NOT let this child file without your reviewing the return first ... better yet don't file the child's return until your return has been filed and accepted for processing.   If the child files incorrectly first will require you to MAIL in your return and mailed in returns are taking months and months to process. 

Me08
Level 1

Thank you very much! I appreciate the clarification. I didn’t realize the post was so old. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies