turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1099-Misc for Paid Family Leave, How will I file this through Turbo Tax ?

During my maternity leave at work I was paid through a third party insurance company. They sent me a 1099 Misc, how am I supposed to properly file this if I do not own a business & it's work related. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

I received a 1099-Misc for Paid Family Leave, How will I file this through Turbo Tax ?

You need to report this as 1099 income that's not self-employment.

Under the Wages & Income tab (or Personal Income tab) scroll down to Other Common Income and elect to start/update Income from form 1099-MISC. Then click YES to indicate you have a 1099-MISC.

Enter the 1099-MISC exactly as printed, and then Continue.

Enter paid family leave

Select None of these apply, then Continue.

Select No, it didn’t involve work….. and Continue.

Select ONLY the tax year for which this specific 1099-MISC was issued. Do not select the year that you received the 1099. Select the year for which the 1099-MISC was issued. Select no other year. Then Continue.

Select No, it didn’t involve an intent to earn money, then Continue.

Select NO, then Continue.

Click the DONE button, and that does it.

View solution in original post

27 Replies
Ashby

You need to report this as 1099 income that's not self-employment.

Under the Wages & Income tab (or Personal Income tab) scroll down to Other Common Income and elect to start/update Income from form 1099-MISC. Then click YES to indicate you have a 1099-MISC.

Enter the 1099-MISC exactly as printed, and then Continue.

Enter paid family leave

Select None of these apply, then Continue.

Select No, it didn’t involve work….. and Continue.

Select ONLY the tax year for which this specific 1099-MISC was issued. Do not select the year that you received the 1099. Select the year for which the 1099-MISC was issued. Select no other year. Then Continue.

Select No, it didn’t involve an intent to earn money, then Continue.

Select NO, then Continue.

Click the DONE button, and that does it.

JimmeMcVid
Returning Member

I'm not sure these instructions are correct. 

An alternate place to enter PFL: 

Under Personal Income there's a section for Unemployment and Paid Family Leave. It says you can can receive PFL reporting on 1099-G  *or* several other reporting documents.  Wouldn't a 1099-MISC count as one of several other types of documents? 

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

To enter your paid family leave reported in box 3 of a Form 1099-MISC, use the path Federal>>Income and Expenses>>Other Common Income>>Form 1099-MISC.

For purposes of this PFL 1099-MISC, you select "didn't involve work like my main job" (because you were on leave, not working) and "didn't involve an intent to earn money" (same reasoning, you were on leave not working).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DianePerry
Returning Member

I have entered as suggested in this post but am still required to put in Schedule C.  Is there a fix to to this?

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Following these instructions from  @DavidS127 should not require a Schedule C:

To enter your paid family leave reported in box 3 of a Form 1099-MISC, use the path Federal>>Income and Expenses>>Other Common Income>>Form 1099-MISC.

For purposes of this PFL 1099-MISC, you select "didn't involve work like my main job" (because you were on leave, not working) and "didn't involve an intent to earn money" (same reasoning, you were on leave not working).

DianePerry
Returning Member

I have entered my 1099-MISC for paid family leave the way directed above.  When Turbo tax does the Federal review, it tells me I have 9 errors and is telling me I need to complete Schedule C "Profit or Loss from Business".

Please Advise!  Thank you!!!

To enter your paid family leave reported in box 3 of a Form 1099-MISC, use the path Federal>>Income and Expenses>>Other Common Income>>Form 1099-MISC.  Here is how to enter the information:

Reporting 1099-MISC (box 3 or box 7) that is not self-employment income

• Wages & Income tab (or Personal Income tab) 
  • Other Common Income and elect to start/update Income from form 1099-MISC. Then click YES to indicate you have a 1099-MISC.
  • Enter the 1099-MISC exactly as printed, and then Continue.
  • Enter the reason you got this money – paid family leave
  • Select None of these apply, then Continue.
  • Select No, it didn’t involve work….. and Continue.
  • Select ONLY the tax year for which this specific 1099-MISC was issued. Do not select the year that you received the 1099. Select the year for which the 1099-MISC was issued. Select no other year. Then Continue.
  • Select No, it didn’t involve an intent to earn money, then Continue.
  • Select NO, then Continue. 
  • Click the DONE button.

@DianePerry

DianePerry
Returning Member

I have done this.  When the program does the review I get 9 errors involving  a schedule C. 

Please remove the schedule C:

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

• Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  • In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  • In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  • Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

​​​​​​​

@DianePerry

DianePerry
Returning Member

Thank you!!!

Unfortunately turbotax forces you to move to a costlier option to enter as this as Misc. income, instead of as FMLA, including now having to pay additionally for State filing... all for what? Irritating. 

It won't allow you to remove a schedule C. 

What do we do? This is aggravating.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@michaelroche  See if you qualify for the Free File Program.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@pembe-ercen Delete the 1099-Misc and the Schedule C, as the 1099-Misc may keep generating Schedule C unless it is removed also.

Click this link for info on How to Delete a Form in TurboTax Online.

Re-enter your 1099-Misc as per Expert @ReneeM7122 above: 

• Wages & Income tab (or Personal Income tab) 
  • Other Common Income and elect to start/update Income from form 1099-MISC. Then click YES to indicate you have a 1099-MISC.
  • Enter the 1099-MISC exactly as printed, and then Continue.
  • Enter the reason you got this money – paid family leave
  • Select None of these apply, then Continue.
  • Select No, it didn’t involve work….. and Continue.
  • Select ONLY the tax year for which this specific 1099-MISC was issued. Do not select the year that you received the 1099. Select the year for which the 1099-MISC was issued. Select no other year. Then Continue.
  • Select No, it didn’t involve an intent to earn money, then Continue.
  • Select NO, then Continue. 
  • Click the DONE button.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies