turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Will THE IRS withold my taxes if I owe fines to the court?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Will THE IRS withold my taxes if I owe fines to the court?

The IRS would not get involved in seizing your federal refund for court fees, but your state might do so with a state refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I filed & got my state refund on March 28th and I've not recieved my state refund yet.. I've never had to pay in so I've never owes the IRS. Do they with hold state refund for unpaid fines

How could I find out if it's being withheld or if not why haven't I recieved it yet

This is confusing:

I" filed & got my state refund on March 28th and I've not recieved my state refund yet.. "

Do you mean you received your federal refund but NOT your state refund?

Make sure your state return was accepted:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

Federal and state refunds come from completely separate entities.  You cannot expect them to arrive at the same time.

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you, you just took a very stessful mind of me. I called for my state refund and they said it was being garnished cause of my court cost and i thought federal was going to do the same

Yes the state will take money from your state return for fines!!!!! 100% they will

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

State court costs aren't something that would be paid using your federal refund.

Please see the IRS' Topic Number 203 - Reduced Refund page for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That's not true, the courts took all my state refund and this year they did as well and was over 400 bucks. I only got my federal tax refund but still they will garnish your whole state refund if u owe the courts money in any capacity. 

WKins2
Expert Alumni

If you owe the courts funds, your state refund will be taken to satisfy the debt, and if there is refund money left over you will be sent that, and if you still owe, a bill will be sent for the remaining balance. 

If you're still reading and you have gotten this far down the line. The very first answer you read was the correct answer. You do not need to keep reading. You already should have the answer. You can do your taxes now. Yes you will get your  federal refund. 100% money back guaranteed. Happy tax season.🙂

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

The IRS will not garnish your federal refund for state court fines.  However, the state may garnish your state refund for unpaid fines.

So if I owe for fines for a DUI they wont make it?? What about owing for state snap??

Will I get my tax refund 

@Rachelbelille05 You are posting to an old thread with multiple posts from other users.  

Did you e-file?  Did you click a big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

If the IRS accepted it, what does it say here? 

https://www.irs.gov/refunds           Or does your account say “Ready to Mail?”

Note: If it says “Ready to Mail” or “Printed” that means YOU have to mail it yourself.  TurboTax does not mail your tax return for you.

Manage cookies