turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why was I charged for efile on my state if I have to print and mail it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Using the TurboTax online editions there are no e-file charges, federal or state.  The TurboTax account fees are for the use of the software to assist in completing a tax return.  The account fees are the same whether a tax return is e-filed or printed for mailing.

In the Online version Efiling is free.  The fees are to prepare the return whether you efile or print and mail.  Or are you using the Desktop CD/Download program?  That is free to print and mail state or $20 to efile.

noelfusco

I have a charge on my credit card for efiling my state return but they would not accept efile because of an identification number  and I had to send it by regular mail so I should not be charged for efile and that $21.45 should be returned to my account.  I also thought that the one state was included and there should not have been a charge at all?  What do I need to do to get my money back?

Thanks,

Noel

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax Online can be used at no cost up until the point that you submit payment. Once payment has been received, the product is considered to have been used to prepare your taxes, regardless of whether you print or electronically file your return or if it's rejected. 

Submitting payment reflects your satisfaction with TurboTax Online preparation of your taxes and is non-refundable. After reading this, if you still believe you qualify for a refund, you can click here to complete the refund form. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@noelfusco   You used the Desktop CD/Download program.  In the Desktop program you get one free state PROGRAM download to prepare unlimited state returns. Then each state return (including the first one) is $20 to efile, usually goes up to $25 March 1. Or you can print and mail state for free.  

If you got charged for efile but had to mail state you can ask for a refund.  Use the words BILLING ISSUE when you contact them, not refund.

Contact Customer Service
5am-9pm Pacific Time
7 days a week
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies