turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rpias

Why is my advanced child tax credit pending eligibility?? I have a 2 year old I claimed since she was born

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Why is my advanced child tax credit pending eligibility?? I have a 2 year old I claimed since she was born

is your return 2020 is pending? but the only one that can answer for certain is the IRS.

rpias

No accepted and received already..... I even got a letter in the mail stating I was eligible....

This is a brand new system thrown together by the IRS after Congress changed tax laws in the middle of the tax season.  There are going to be bugs, glitches and mistakes made and folks will unfortunately have to be patient until they sort it out.  

If you do not receive the monthly payments you will be able to get the CTC on your 2021 tax return.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announces-two-new-online-tools-to-help-families-manage-child-tax-cr...

IRS.gov/childtaxcredit2021

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/child-tax-credit-update-portal

The IRS is hopelessly backlogged, with 35 million unprocessed tax returns and 2 new laws to follow (stimulus round 3 and the advance child tax credit payments).  It's a miracle that even some people have been paid.

Remember the advance payments don't change the amount you get, only when you get paid.  If the credit starts late and you don't get the full amount, it will be added to your tax refund.  

tweston2

I am in the same boat.  Received a letter from the IRS stating I am eligible (and I do meet the eligibility requirements). 2020 tax return has been accepted and refund received. The IRS portal, however, says that my eligibility is pending and advanced payments won't be sent until my eligibility is confirmed.  How do I confirm my eligibility? They already have all of my info so it shouldn't be pending...

@tweston2 Did you amend your return?   Do you have a return that has not yet been processed in the system?  That could cause the "pending eligibility" you are seeing.   If you do not receive the monthly payments you will be able to reconcile the child tax credit on your 2021 tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@tweston2 wrote:

I am in the same boat.  Received a letter from the IRS stating I am eligible (and I do meet the eligibility requirements). 2020 tax return has been accepted and refund received. The IRS portal, however, says that my eligibility is pending and advanced payments won't be sent until my eligibility is confirmed.  How do I confirm my eligibility? They already have all of my info so it shouldn't be pending...

I wish we could give a definite answer but there just isn't one.  The IRS has been tasked with doing something completely unprecedented, and that they are even 80% up to speed is pretty amazing, all things considered.  There's nothing you can do to verify anything, you just have to wait.  (If the IRS did need some additional kind of verification, they would send you a letter with instructions.).  Remember in the end, the advance payments don't change the amount of credit, just when it gets paid (in advance or added to your tax return). 

tweston2

No, everything for the 2020 tax year is cleared.  I understand that I will be able to reconcile it on next years taxes, it's just frustrating because the advance payments would be helpful with the financial strain we've been under the last year and a half with Covid shutdowns and restrictions.  I also know many people in my same situation regarding taxes and the CTC payments so I know it isn't just me.

leigh0903
Returning Member

I received the first to advance child care credit and then it said : Pending. Your eligibility has not been determined. If you were previously receiving payments, this means that we are reviewing additional information about your eligibility. when I called where the questions I asked if my eye reported a stolen identity which I had the investigation hat was cleared up by the time I called because I was just giving it time you know the government works so she said that I should’ve been receiving it mine is still showing pending I can double check with the FTC about the case I had to join for trying to get a hold of somebody about this it’s virtually impossible

All you can do now is wait for the IRS notice 6419 to come and then file the 2021 return to get the rest of the CTC you are eligible for ... no more "advance" payments will be sent at this late date.

IRS info:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-sending-information-letters-to-recipients-of-advance-child-tax-cred...

Q A11. Will the IRS send me a letter of my advance Child Tax Credit payments to help me claim the co...

A11. Yes. In January 2022, the IRS will send you Letter 6419 to provide the total amount of advance Child Tax Credit payments that were disbursed to you during 2021. Please keep this letter regarding your advance Child Tax Credit payments with your tax records. You may need to refer to this letter when you file your 2021 tax return during the 2022 tax filing season.

For more information regarding this letter and how to reconcile your advance Child Tax Credit payments with your Child Tax Credit on your 2021 return, see Topic H: Reconciling Your Advance Child Tax Credit Payments on Your 2021 Tax Return.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/2021-child-tax-credit-and-advance-child-tax-credit-payments-t...

Q H10. Will the IRS provide me with information to help me reconcile my advance Child Tax Credit pay...

A10. Yes. In January 2022, the IRS will send you Letter 6419 to provide the total amount of advance Child Tax Credit payments that were disbursed to you during 2021. Please keep this letter regarding your advance Child Tax Credit payments with your tax records. You may need to refer to this letter when you file your 2021 tax return during the 2022 tax filing season.

This letter will be mailed to your address on file as of the letter’s mailing date. This generally will be the address on your most recent tax return, or as updated through the Child Tax Credit Update Portal (CTC UP) or the United States Postal Service (USPS). For more information regarding CTC UP, see Topic F: Updating Your Child Tax Credit Information During 2021.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/2021-child-tax-credit-and-advance-child-tax-credit-payments-t...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies