Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why did I get a fatal error following a TurboTax update?

Today TurboTax said an update was available. It then said my PC had to restart. Following the restart it appeared to be installing TurboTax. Then it abruptly stopped. A window with the heading "TurboTax 2020 WinPerReleaseMsi" appeared. A long error message followed, saying that a file cannot be installed because it can't be found in cabinet file "TurboTax.cab". Surely this must be caused by the new update.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support as your issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support. Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact Customer Support: What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Here is the entire error message:

The file '_fdp.11_WS_FHCSF_sfdptt_idf_xtt_rep_niw_smrof_' cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file TurboTax.cab'. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM. or a problem with this package.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support as your issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support. Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact Customer Support: What is the TurboTax phone number?

Thank you, Michelle. Excellent advice! The agent I spoke with sent me a link for a manual update, and after I ran the update, TurboTax is running properly again.

I literally have the same issue: can you provide the url? 

To whom ever is reading this, save your self time and frustration and DONT CALL SUPPORT. The link to the manual update is here. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-soft[product ke...

I google manaul update and found the link above.  At the same time tried calling and the women was completely useless.  Wanted to me to find the version when I clearly told her that it would not even start. Then she wanted to clear my F*ing cache in the browser, WTF?  Sorry but I politely ended the call since I found the link already, thanks to the OP's comment. This would had taken like an hour of phone.   

plh1

The manual update method does not work either.  Tried x2 with and without anti virus software off, and also after rebooting x2 the computer.  Now locked out of returns because you cannot open without updating, and updating will not work  Nutty.

Sorry to hear that.  After you install the manual update, was it the same error message? The worse case scenerio is to literally unintall everything and just reintall it.  When it opens up just open the file you been working on. 

I got the same error after launching TT Home & Business (Win10) and going through the automatic update today (4/16/2021). The manual update worked for me (web page was updated today as well), and was able to get back into TT. 

Here's the link again: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-soft[product ke...

pws1937

Cannot find Data1.cab

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

When I try to install Turbotax for tax year 2021, I get a message about a missing file from a cabinet

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Here is a link to finding a TurboTax expert.

Here is a link on how to clear your cache and cookies.

Here is a link to the TurboTax Phone Number.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies