turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Why can’t I file my state return electronically?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
WKins2
Expert Alumni

Generally if you are unable to file your state return electronically it means that the state has not finalized the forms that you need to file yet. Once they do, you will be able to file electronically. 

Even know the IRS is starting to accept e-filed returns today for processing, some states are not ready to do so yet. Click the following link to see when your state will be able to process your return (it is based on the forms you have): https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-pe...

Once the forms are ready you will be able to file your federal and state return and track it here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/how-do-i-check-my-e-file-status/00/25538

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It goes all the way to payment and wants me to pay 19.99 which I thought I got one state free

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@josedwards  It sounds like you may have inadvertently added PLUS Benefits while preparing your tax return.  Please click the following links to review your fees and remove any unwanted charges prior to filing your return.

reaserrl
Returning Member

"Click the following link to see when your state will be able to process your return (it is based on the forms you have)"  The link is for Federal Forms and doesn't show any state forms.  I am trying to figure out why I can't e-file California.  My return is not that complicated and I have e-filed federal successfully.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@reaserrl You can check state form availability in the TurboTax link below. What is happening when you try to E-file your State return? Are you receiving a error?

reaserrl
Returning Member

Here's the error:

We Won't Be Able to E-file Your Return
Why? Well, it looks like you have a tax situation in the California return that makes it ineligible fore-filing.
Reason fore-file ineligibility:
The return has withholding from a source other than Forms W2, W2G, 1099R, 1099G, 10991NT, 109901V,
10998, 1099MISC, 5928, and 593.
Turbo Tax does not support this information to be filed electronically.
The good news is you can still print your California return and file it by mail.

The only withholding I have for 2020 is on two 1099Rs, like I had last years.  I also paid California Estimated Taxes for my 1099-NEC which had zero withholding.  I don' think I need any of the forms at the link.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you tried to delete the forms you don't need to see if that resolves the error?  Please see How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

@reaserrl

reaserrl
Returning Member

Yes.  I actually got on the phone with TurboTax directly who looks at my filing.  After trying your suggestion and many others, they gave up and said I had to print it and mail it in.   I was able to pay the amount due electronically with the California Franchise Tax Board, since I have an account with them to pay my estimated taxes.  I had no withholding except for that on my three 1099Rs.  The rest was estimated taxes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies