turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why am I being asked to re-activate my TurboTax?

I already activated it a month ago and have been working on tax files. It wants my activation code again.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

I can't open my account 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@chase1103 Please see TurboTax 2019 and TurboTax 2020 requests license activation at every launch for a detailed description of why you are prompted for an activation code.

@03131 Can you please provide more details regarding your issue? Did you forget your User ID or password?  If so, please see Forgot your TurboTax Online User ID or password? for assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Michelle,

This problem only came up in the last few days. I have been using the program since I installed it, by CD, on 11/21/2020. I did get the link that you sent in your reply from one of your agents on the 1-800 number last evening. Yesterday morning I got into my TurboTax program with no issues. This morning I got the "re-activate" screen. I shut down and restarted my desktop, hit the shortcut and the program came up with no issue. There may be a start-up issue, but I am not sure.

I may go thru the "TurboTax 2019 and TurboTax 2020 requests license activation at every launch" instructions, as I can't be turning off my anti-virus and/or re-booting every time I want to use the program.

After I re-booted this morning I entered the program several times with no issues.

Thanks,

cv

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

We are glad the issue was resolved. 

It could be if you have Turbo Tax 2019 and 2020 both installed at the same time. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Carissa,

The jury is still out on my 2020 program issue. This morning I booted up and the TurboTax program came up normal. If I continue having intermittent problems, I will uninstall the 2019 program first. If that doesn't solve the problem, I will try the fix instructions supplied by TurboTax. Let's hold for now and I will post when I think the issue is resolved.

(Please note that I have always left the previous years program installed until I am through filing for the present year, with no problems.)

Thanks,

cv

@ chas1103 wrote:

The jury is still out on my 2020 program issue. This morning I booted up and the TurboTax program came up normal. If I continue having intermittent problems, I will uninstall the 2019 program first. If that doesn't solve the problem, I will try the fix instructions supplied by TurboTax. Let's hold for now and I will post when I think the issue is resolved.

(Please note that I have always left the previous years program installed until I am through filing for the present year, with no problems.)

There shouldn't be any problem with having more than 1 tax year of the program installed.  I have both 2019 and 2020 TurboTax installed now, and have previously had up to 4-5 years installed simultaneously before.  See the tip I provide below on making sure your system configuration stays constant.

A number of folks who have the continual reactivation problem are using some sort of USB device with their system which turned out to be the culprit.   Have you been launching TurboTax sometimes with a USB drive connected, and sometimes with a USB drive not connected?    TurboTax can see that as a configuration change and prompt for a license activation thinking it's a different system.

For example, see the following info which has helped several:

If you are asked for reactivation when you have a USB drive plugged into a USB port at the same time you are launching TurboTax, then remove the USB drive. Then try launching the TurboTax program again. See if that solves the problem.

Or try it the other way around. i.e., if you had a USB device plugged in initially when you installed TurboTax originally, but don't now, then plug it back in and try.

mesquitebean,

I have to take the USB drive out when I shutdown every evening, or else I get a "no operating system" message when I boot up in the morning even though the boot sequence is set to boot from the hard drive. I had the USB drive out, booted up this morning, and opened TurboTax with no issues. After your reply, I put the USB drive in and re-opened TurboTax with no problem. The problem seems to be intermittent. The next time I get the re-activate message with the USB drive in, I will take it out and try again. Rather than waste the Community's time, let's sit on this for awhile and I will get back to the Community when I feel the problem is fixed.

Thanks again for all the help,

cv

Nice of you to find the usb was triggering the re-activation.  I think this also happened to me last year and customer service could not solve the problem. But they gave me an on-line version free.  I like the CD version better.  I like to keep all my old CD and info.

Any way thanks.

kayautho2

revised my usb cables and damned if it didn't work- also deactivated all my antiviruses and vpn.  I want to thank somebody.

meygj20

Wow... that fixed this problem for me.  Same thing here.. I have been using the program for about two months and already activated it..  Suddenly it's asking me to activate it again.  I just unplugged the USB drive and restarted the program... it didn't ask for an activation key.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies