turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

orx

Where is the "Online Menu" on the Turbotax Deluxe website?

I am asked to obtain an update for a tax form, and to do so by selecting "Check for Updates from the Online menu to connect to our website", but the "Online menu" is not visible anywhere on the interface for the web version of turbotax deluxe.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Although a bit misleading, this just means that you must wait for the Maryland tax forms to be updated before you can file your state tax return, which will happen automatically with online TurboTax, no need for any action on your part other than to check back weekly.  (Updates usually occur late on Thursdays, so check on Fridays.)  The update is necessary because you are apparently itemizing deductions on your federal tax return and you have deductions for state and local taxes entered.  The adjustment needed for this on your Maryland Tax return has not yet been approved for filing.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

The online software is updated automatically by TurboTax.  There is no option for the user of the online editions to update the software.

Sounds like you also have the Desktop program installed on a Windows or Mac computer?
orx

I've only used the online version.  It's odd that something only accessible in the desktop version would show as an error in the online version, but I guess the online version is just a wrapper of sorts for the same processing.  I guess a follow up to this is:  when can I expect the online version to "check for updates" for the form I need so that I can file?

What form are you needing?

The online version is always up to date.  Where did you see about going online to update?  
orx

The form I need to have updated is my state tax form.  When I attempt to e-file, it says I need to fix my return.  When I click the button to do so, it sends me to a page displaying:

"Check This Entry
Form 502: _ Form calculation (State and local income taxes) has not been finalized. You must obtain an update before you file your return. To receive an update, select Check for Updates from the Online menu to connect to our website."

When I click "continue", it brings me back to the previous page that asked me to fix my return, and that loop is where I'm stuck.
Carl
Level 15

The "online" menu option only exists in the CD/Desktop software that is physically installed on the computer. If you are using the online version of the program, then you're already "online" and don't need a section to connect to online. Additionally, the online version of the software is updated automatically by the programmers. So there's no need for one using the online version to have to update anything really.
orx

Yes, I'm assuming this is an error with the online version itself, given that at the very least, the message it is giving me doesn't reflect the platform being used.  What you've said, Carl, is the behavior I'd expect if things were working properly, but that does not appear to be the case.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to assist you with this issue. Be on the lookout for an email from Social We Care.
Carl
Level 15

@orx  see that "moderator" tax next to TurboTaxJoey's screen name? While "Moderator" indicates they "have power" in this forum, The fact that tag is colored red (green is the other color) indicates they are employed by TurboTax. So the e-mail you receive from Social We Care is valid.
sdunn4504

HELP!
dmertz
Level 15

Although a bit misleading, this just means that you must wait for the Maryland tax forms to be updated before you can file your state tax return, which will happen automatically with online TurboTax, no need for any action on your part other than to check back weekly.  (Updates usually occur late on Thursdays, so check on Fridays.)  The update is necessary because you are apparently itemizing deductions on your federal tax return and you have deductions for state and local taxes entered.  The adjustment needed for this on your Maryland Tax return has not yet been approved for filing.

TLLewis22

What do I need to do. Need update.

@TLLewis22 wrote:

What do I need to do. Need update.

This is a user community forum, and no one knows anything about your situation, and what you want to do or even what product you are using--Online TurboTax or desktop software.   You're posting in an old thread from 1-2 years ago.    If you want help, you need to explain your situation in full.   You're more likely to get help if you start a brand new thread at this link.   Click the blue "Ask a Question"  button at the page at the link:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/02/202

The title line has limited space, but there is a box underneath with room for plenty of details.  But do not not post personal info in this public forum.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies