turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do you enter 2019 overpayment applied to 2020 taxes (federal and state)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

To enter, change or delete a refund from the prior year applied to this years taxes (Federal, State, Local) -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Deductions and Credits
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the options under 2019 Refund Applied to 2020

Or enter refund applied to this year in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to refund applied to this year

The prior year refund amount applied is shown on Form 1040 Line 26

Disappointed Too
Returning Member

In Turbo Tax Deluxe, I don't see any place to enter my 2019 Oregon overpayment that was applied to the first quarter 2020 estimated tax payments.  The instructions say not to include it in the estimated payment but do not have a place to enter it separately, thereby understating the total tax payments made.  Any solutions?

If it didn't transfer over from last year then enter a refund from last year that you applied to this year here.   BUT first make sure it's not already there.  You don't want to apply it twice.

Federal on left

Deductions and Credits at top

Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Revisit

Next page scroll down to 2019 Refund Applied to 2020

Click Start or Update by the tax you applied

Then for state, you need to click on the state tab and go through state again for it to update.

NOTE:  When you enter a 1099G for a state refund  under income there is a box to check and then fill out the amount of state refund you had applied to next year's estimated taxes.  If you filled that in then do not fill it in again under Deductions and Credits.  It won't show that amount in Deductions but if you enter it again it will be doubled.

Disappointed Too
Returning Member

Thanks for your help, but...  there is no Estimates and Other Taxes Paid nor, consequently, Other Income Taxes.  I understand there are options on other Turbo Tax versions (business owners) but I am using the Deluxe version.  Other than this, my taxes are very simple.  I've spoken with Turbo Tax reps who are very pleasant, understand the problem, are apologetic, but offer not solutions.  Also, I didn't use Turbo Tax last year so it didn't carry forward automatically.

Disappointed Too
Returning Member

I found it, thank you.  In my version it is on a different screen, but I found it.  Thanks so much

All versions have it.   Sorry don't know why you can't find it.  Did you actually put on your 2019 return to apply your refund to 2020?  Or did you just not get it?  I can maybe make you screen shots. 

Where did you find it in Deluxe?  I may need to update my notes.

Disappointed Too
Returning Member

Having looked more closely at your instructions, you don't need to change your notes.  I was looking in the wrong section-- the section on Estimated Tax Payments.  I needed to close/finish that go back as you described, go to the "Income Taxes Paid" section to find "2019 Refund Applied to 2020" and then the state portion.  Just as you described.  Three Turbo Tax advisors couldn't locate it on the phone with me-- but you did!!  I couldn't get it out of my head that it would/should be in the section listing quarterly estimated tax payments.  Thank you again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies