Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I input employee wage expense (W-2 wages paid out)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

To enter your employees' wages:

• Go to Federal > Income & Expenses
  • Under Your income and expenses, click Edit next to Self-employment income and expenses
    work
  • On the next screen, click Edit next to your Line of work
  • Scroll down to the Expenses section and click Add expenses for work
  • On the Tell us about any expenses for work page, scroll down to Less Common Expenses and select Contract Labor
  • Click Continue and then you can enter your contract labor expenses on the next screen.

I'm lost again. The question said where to enter employees wages paid. Your instruction led to entering wages paid to contract labor which is not an employee. Can someone tell me how to enter employee wages paid on W2 line 26?

@Jennifer197930 wrote:

I'm lost again. The question said where to enter employees wages paid. Your instruction led to entering wages paid to contract labor which is not an employee. Can someone tell me how to enter employee wages paid on W2 line 26?

When you are entering your line of work in the Self-Employment section you have to Edit General Info and then in the Payments and Identification section select that you have W-2 employees.  You must also enter your EIN for the business since you have employees.  

In the Expenses section under Common Expenses check the box for Employee wages and work credits

If Employee Expenses doesn't show up in the expense list you need to go back to the Business Profile section and click Edit by Has Employees and change it to YES.

I tried entering it under employees wages and work credits and it did not take the full amount that I paid out to my employee but only about 1/3 of what it costs me for that employees labor and that did not include my contribution that i as an employee had to pay or the amount it costs me for the payroll company I had to pay to do the payroll. I know that these are separate issues but I  have used turbo tax for over 10 years and I had an employee last year and did not have this problem.

If i can't find the answer I am going to have to give up turbotax for some other company that makes it clearer and easier to get my full deduction for the money I paid out to my employee and not a credit of some lesser value. HELP...I have spent all day on the internet trying to find the answer and am not satisfied.. 

Thanks, Steve [email address removed] 

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Can you clarify your question by providing more detail?

Are you filing a Schedule C, 1120-S, 1120-C or something else?

Did you take Work Opportunity Credit or the Employee Retention Credit?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Mark DD

Steve,

Were you able to find resolution to this problem?  I'm having the EXACT same problem with TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies