Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dawbiker

Where do I enter my license code on this website? I have purchased a basic Turbo Tax disc. there is no pop-up window on this page

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

182 Replies

Where do I enter my license code on this website? I have purchased a basic Turbo Tax disc. there is no pop-up window on this page

The license code is only used for TurboTax software purchased as a CD or Download then installed on a personal computer. 

It is NOT used for the TurboTax online web-based editions where you sign onto the TurboTax online account with a User ID and Password.

If you purchased the TurboTax CD or a Download then install the software on your personal computer and do Not use the TurboTax online editions.

I have a brand new chrome book. It doesn't have a place that i can install with cd. Do I have to have windows to down load and enter the license code? I have tried install turbotax.com repeatedly. It continues to tell me I need to upgrade chrome but then the chrome book tells me that I am updated with latest version. I just bought turbo tax deluxe cd today,

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax CD/Download software is not compatible with Chromebook computers.  You will need to have either a Windows or Mac operating system.  The following TurboTax page lists the minimum requirements needed to download TurboTax software to your computer:  Minimum requirements for your computer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Gregrizz

Please help I am not understanding what Im doing wrong

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

This link Activating TT Download has directions on activating TurboTax Download that you may find helpful.

This is so confusing this year although I have done my own taxes since forever.  Where do I enter my license code?

joyllopez

What if I already entered everything in the web-based portal?  If I install the software on my computer, will the data transfer?

Yes it will.  Sorry you can't apply the Desktop purchase to the online version.  They are separate things and don't talk or sync to each other.  You can move your online return to the Desktop program without paying for online so you don't need to start over.

You can move your Online file to the Desktop program and continue without paying for Online or needing to reenter your info.

To continue in the desktop version see this…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return .tax file is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW).

azivory

Multiple people have asked this question and it has not been answered.  There is no pop-up window in which to enter the license code for the 2020 disk I purchased.  Since this is a consistent issue, how do I enter my license code without the pop-up window?

Thank you.

If you are in the Online web version where you log into a Turbo Tax account you do not use the License Code.  Did you get the CD or program download installed?  When you launch the program it should pop up an Activation box.  Are you on Windows or Mac?

@azivory wrote:

Multiple people have asked this question and it has not been answered.  There is no pop-up window in which to enter the license code for the 2020 disk I purchased.  Since this is a consistent issue, how do I enter my license code without the pop-up window?

Thank you.

If you install the 2019 TurboTax software on your personal computer using the CD you purchased there will be a page to enter the 14 digit license code during the install procedure or will be on page after you start a 2019 tax return.

[product key removed]

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

There is no license code to enter for the TurboTax online editions. 

The license code is only for the TurboTax software installed on a personal computer, Win or Mac, CD or Download.

If you purchased the TurboTax software either as a CD or a Download then install the software on your computer and start the program.  You will come to a screen asking for the license code.

Jen56

I bought the CD but I already had an account from previous years and I didn’t need to download the software so it is not asking me to put in the license code. I don’t want to be charged another fee since I already bought the CD.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies