turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When will Turbotax put Maryland's RELIEF act into effect and remove unemployment income from filers' FAGIs?

Maryland's RELIEF act is supposed to allow Marylanders to subtract their unemployment income earned in 2020 from their adjusted gross income. Turbotax isn't implementing that yet though and I can't file until they do. Is this something that is going to be resolved soon or should I be looking for somewhere else to file my taxes this year?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

75 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

When will Turbotax put Maryland's RELIEF act into effect and remove unemployment income from filers' FAGIs?

TurboTax tax analysts and programmers are working quickly to update the program. 

Maryland partially taxes unemployment income, but right now, we are unsure whether or not they will follow the new federal taxable thresholds. You can check How is my state taxing unemployment income? for updates..

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How are you unsure? According to the Maryland Relief Act 03-04-21A Tax Alert from the Comptroller of Maryland, available here:

https://www.marylandtaxes.gov/RELIEFAct/docs/RELIEF_Act_Tax_Alert.pdf

It seems to say pretty clearly: "To the extent included in federal adjusted gross income, taxpayers may
subtract the amount of unemployment benefits received during the taxable year on their Maryland
return. This subtraction is only available to taxpayers with a filing status of single, married filing
separate, or dependent with a **bleep**I of less than $75,000, and filers with married filing joint, head of
household, or surviving spouse status with a **bleep**I of less than $100,000." 

Does that not clear up the uncertainty and give us the information needed to press on? Because, unless I'm missing something, this is pretty clearly saying that the full amount of the unemployment income should be removed for someone in my income bracket. What other information are we waiting for to clarify this further? That document was released over a week ago. Which leads back to the question of how much longer we're going to have to wait if the information has been out there for a week and you still aren't sure?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

It depends. Per the State of Maryland, the tax forms related to the RELIEF Act signed into law on February 15, 2021, will not be ready until sometime in March. As of today, 3/15/2021, they still have not released the updated tax return. Therefore, TurboTax cannot update the program without the guidance of the state. 

Updates on the availability of forms will be posted on the state website RELIEF Act Information

Furthermore, the State of Maryland released a Tax Alert on 3/11/21, which states that all individual, corporate, pass-through entity, and fiduciary income tax returns that otherwise would have been due on varying dates between January 1, 2021 and July 15, 2021, inclusive, are now due on or before July 15, 2021

Maryland Tax Alert 3/11/21

@alicewanders

How about now? Is TurboTax updated with MD  unemployment tax breaks, so I can complete my MD state taxes?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@JaymzYzr You can login to your return on the Turbo Tax program and run the updates. 

If you have additional questions or need assistance, please click here to contact customer support. 

What do you mean run updates? 

cj48
Level 2

It looks like the MD Comptroller still has not released the new tax forms related to the RELIEF Act. Their webpage says they would be ready sometime in March, but March has come and gone. I don't think TurboTax can do anything until MD releases them.  I am frustrated too, and wish MD Comptroller would give us some news about what is going on. 

https://www.marylandtaxes.gov/RELIEFAct/index.php

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

TurboTax calculations have not been updated for Maryland. If you haven’t filed your return, you can either:

• Wait for TurboTax to be updated along with your state, or
  • File your return now and potentially amend later if they do not follow the federal guidelines.   @cj48

That's a great link !!! Thanks for sharing

Any update if Turbo Tax updated the Maryland unemployment tax relief forms online yet? Someone told me they did on Friday 4/9. Not sure if it’s true or not?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@Mike3206 You can view the forms availability for your state by clicking here. It looks like everything is available is available. 

Please ensure you clear your cookies and cache are cleared, and if you are using the desktop version ensure it is up to date. 

so some of the forms are unavailable for e-file? what? 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

TurboTax calculations have not been updated for Maryland. If you haven’t filed your return, you can either:

• Wait for TurboTax to be updated along with your state, or
  • File your return now and potentially amend later if they do not follow the federal guidelines.

Continue to check this link, then click on Maryland: How is my state taxing unemployment?

I’ve seen this and know about and it doesn’t answer my precious question 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies