turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mikryan90

On box 13 of my W2, how do I know if those things apply to me?

Is there supposed to be a check or an 'X' or something under where it says "Statutory Employee", etc...?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Tanisha1

Box 13 – This box has 3 check boxes in it: Statutory Employee, Retirement Plan, and Third Party Sick Pay. These boxes will be checked or left unchecked by your employer. A statutory employee is someone who is treated like an employee but didn’t have any taxes withheld from their paycheck (this occurs frequently with employees who are 100% commission). Having the “Retirement Plan” box checked means you had access to a retirement plan such as 401k at work, which may limit your ability to get tax incentives for other retirement plans like an IRA. Third-party sick pay means that you received payments for sick time from a company other than the one that employed you, such as their insurance company. Generally those payments were not included in the wages on your W-2.

This should answer your question.  But like I said in the beginning your employer will check or leave it uncheck if it applies or not apply to you.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Tanisha1

Box 13 – This box has 3 check boxes in it: Statutory Employee, Retirement Plan, and Third Party Sick Pay. These boxes will be checked or left unchecked by your employer. A statutory employee is someone who is treated like an employee but didn’t have any taxes withheld from their paycheck (this occurs frequently with employees who are 100% commission). Having the “Retirement Plan” box checked means you had access to a retirement plan such as 401k at work, which may limit your ability to get tax incentives for other retirement plans like an IRA. Third-party sick pay means that you received payments for sick time from a company other than the one that employed you, such as their insurance company. Generally those payments were not included in the wages on your W-2.

This should answer your question.  But like I said in the beginning your employer will check or leave it uncheck if it applies or not apply to you.

mikryan90

So even though the words are there, if there is no check under it, it means nothing, correct?
Critter1

correct
assel_ib

what if it has letter N in box 13statutory employee amd retirement plan? What does N mean?
Critter1

Some uneducated fools are using the letter N to indicate NO (in that you don't have these things) when issuing W-2's instead of just leaving the boxes blank like the IRS allows..... so just leave those boxes blank.
amlfro

What does it mean if their is an X in the box 13 statutory retirement third party
Sylvia L
Returning Member

• N: Uncollected Medicare tax on taxable cost of group-term life insurance over $50,000 (but not Additional Medicare Tax) (only applies to former employees)

Edonn001

My W2 has retirement plan, statutory employee and third party sick pay listed.  There aren’t any boxes to check though.   I did receive a 1099-MISC, even though there are no boxes to be checked.   If the above are listed, does it just mean I am all of it? 

You mean those boxes are listed in box 13 but not checked?  No.  If none of those boxes are checked leave them unchecked.  You don't have any of them.  

Edonn001

Thank you for answering!  The w2 isn’t formatted like any I’m seeing with empty check boxes beneath it. Instead, they’re listed, one above the other and zero check boxes are present.  Do we get to skip this then?!? Thank god. 

Edonn001

Thank you for responding! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies