turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What does it mean "aggregation statement must be entered"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies
BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

Can you tell us where you saw this and the text around it?

Remember that we in the Community cannot see your tax return nor the screen you are on.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

i have the same problem. I have several rentals. In 2018 I think I aggregate them. This year the tt self employed did not ask any questions about aggregation, but the problem popped up after review when I got the above message. I do not have any option on aggregating or dez-aggregating my rentals, just to write a statement. How can I go back and forth to see if I have any benefits from aggregating ? One problem is that due to a missing file ( supposed to be available on 2/28 ?), I can nor e file but just mail....as a consequence of aggregating and qbi. I am not a real estate pro, the rentals are just side business. Thanks. 

I run into same errors with Qualified Business Income Component worksheet. Any ideas how to fix it?

VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

Review the solutions in this thread from Community members regarding the aggregation of rentals and as it relates to QBI.

Aggregate Rentals

Unfortunately, it is not at all clear how to fix it...the "solutions" suggested seem more like a nuclear option.. I deleted everything from scratch, not once but twice and the problem persists. I have been told- by TT tax advisers , that I need to delete every little piece of TT data from previous years, a '' solution" completely not user friendly... how about patching the obvious holes in the software ?

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

This situation arises when you have more than one rental property and you need to aggregate them so you can take the qualified business income deduction (QBI) for the combined income of the various properties.

The statement would include the following:

-  A description of each trade or business or property.

- The name and EIN of each entity in which a trade or business or property is operated.

- Information identifying any trade or business that was formed, ceased operations, was acquired, or was disposed of during the taxable year.

- Information identifying any aggregated trade or business or property of an RPE in which the RPE holds an ownership interest.

- Such other information as the Commissioner may require in forms, instructions, or other published guidance.

If you only have one property, or choose not to aggregate them, then it should not be an issue. 

Got that...the problem arise from the software glitch: I can not undo the aggregation, there is no possibility short of deleting years af TT. It should have the option to aggregate the properties or to dez-aggregate them, but it DOES NOT HAVE IT.  I do not want to enter all that data again, I already started from scratch 3 times the 2019 and this is for the expensive TT for small business... 

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

I suspect the statement isn't critical but it will prevent you from e-filing the tax return. It won't prevent you from mailing the return in.

To get a resolution to the issue, you can call in and talk to a tax expert. The way that works is the agent will try to resolve your issue, but if he or she is unable to, it will get "escalated" to the appropriate individual or department that can resolve it. Then, you will get a call back once a resolution is found.

So, you will get a resolution to the issue, but it may take a few days if it is particularly hard to resolve.

You can reach us as follows:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Thanks. I called no less than 3 tax experts, so far. The advice was to wait until a certain form that links aggregation with qbi would be available, so I will wait a while, even there are some reports here that the form is available and folks were able to efile... the mailing is possible but the whole point of TT is convenience. I spent so much time and energy this year that an in person CPA would have been a much wiser choice...

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Are you asking about aggregating rental properties?

Yep. It looks like I can not e file because I have 'QBI deduction worksheet schedule b'... I am out of ideas

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

I'm posting instructions for how to aggregate or "un-aggregate" your QBI businesses for 2019. 

You'll need to decide whether or not you want or need to aggregate any businesses in 2019.  Once you aggregate, you must continue to aggregate in future years.  But, not aggregating last year does not preclude you from aggregating this year.    Refer to the IRS instructions for Form 8995-A for more information on aggregation.

If you want or need to aggregate any businesses, as of this morning 3/3/2020 the return is print and mail only in TurboTax.  If I can confirm a date that TurboTax will enable e-file for aggregated QBI businesses, I will update this post.

If you do not need or want to aggregate any businesses, here is how to “un-aggregate” them in TurboTax Online or TurboTax Download/CD:

1. Go to Delete a Form: In the left menu, select the dropdown arrow next to Tax Tools and then under that select Tools; in the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  2. Find the QBI Component form for the aggregated businesses.  Delete that QBI Component sheet.
  3. Now, go to Review and start the review routine.
  4. You will have an error for each business that no longer has a QBI Component form.  For each of those businesses, you will see the “primary” form for that business (Schedule C, Schedule E, K-1). It will be highlighted for Question A in the Qualified Business Income Deduction Smart Worksheet.
  5. Double click in the highlighted Question A box, and you will get a pop-up asking you to link to a QBI component worksheet.  Create a new copy for that business (e.g., give it the name of that business).
  6. Continue until you have created a separate QBI component worksheet for each business that you do not want to aggregate.

Note that you could also use these instructions to aggregate businesses.  Delete the QBI component worksheets for each business you want to aggregate, go to the Review, and link all the businesses to the same QBI component worksheet.

If you are using TurboTax Download/CD version, you can also make the switch in Forms mode.  Save a back-up copy (Save As) of your tax return and then try this approach:

In Forms mode, find the schedule for each business/source of QBI (e.g., Schedule E), and then find the Qualified Business Income Deduction Smart Worksheet for that form (e.g., for Schedule E it is after Line 22 Deductible rental real estate loss).  Question A in that smart worksheet asks which QBI worksheet to report (double-click in box A).  Choosing the same QBI worksheet for all businesses is how TurboTax aggregates them for QBI calculations; conversely if you use a separate QBI worksheet for each business/source of QBI they do not aggregate for the calculation.  The QBI worksheet is named the "QBI component worksheet". 

So, you can delete the QBI component worksheets that are not like you want, and repopulate new QBI component worksheets in the Qualified Business Income Deduction Smart Worksheet for each QBI business or rental.

[Edited 03/03/2020|7:05am PST]

@grahaila

I appreciate your help, but what do you mean by ''soon'' when you talk about the form that would allow e file ? It looks like it was initially scheduled for 2/06, than postponed to 2/12, 2/20, 2/28....still not available. The whole idea about TT is convenience, if it is required to print 60 plus pages for mailing and to spent many hours trying to go around glitches in the system, why bother to start with?

sanshi

I just got the same error. My TuboTax H&B is latest. Today is 4/19/2020! How come this bug still exists?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies