Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What does "If your child was away at college, count the number of months away as having lived with you" mean?

The way that the question is phrased is very poor, in my opinion. At the very least, there should be some explanation that makes it clear to the average user. My simple brain is struggling with this to be honest. Why should I count the number of months away as having lived with me? What about the number of months my child lived with us (during the summer break, for example)? Should those number of months be added in as well?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What does "If your child was away at college, count the number of months away as having lived with you" mean?

When you claim a dependent you are asked how long they lived with you during the tax year, because that has an effect on whether you CAN claim them.  When your child is away at college, it is considered to be a "temporary absence" by the IRS so you can still say they lived with you all year.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

When you claim a dependent you are asked how long they lived with you during the tax year, because that has an effect on whether you CAN claim them.  When your child is away at college, it is considered to be a "temporary absence" by the IRS so you can still say they lived with you all year.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you. I understand that now. I still feel that it can get confusing for a novice user. Like I said at the end of my earlier question, what about the number of months that my child lived with us (during the summer break, for example)? Should those months be included in the "months away"? The correct way to phrase this question, in my opinion would be "If your child was away at college, count the number of months as having lived with you, even if some of them were away in college" or words to that effect.

Can't agree with you more on this very badly worded instruction.  The fact that the verb 'count' is used, it implies some situation is counted (i.e. away for the sole reason of college), and some situations are NOT supposed to be counted (which are?).  This latter of what 'should not be counted' is what is missing to add context to this instruction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies