turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We had a baby in 2020, but when we fill out information related to Recovery Rebate Credit, it says we got what we should have. Do we not get to claim for new baby?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

We had a baby in 2020, but when we fill out information related to Recovery Rebate Credit, it says we got what we should have. Do we not get to claim for new baby?

Children born in 2020 were not included in the 1st stimulus because those checks were based on 2018 or 2019. No one got stimulus money for babies born in 2020 because the IRS did not know about those babies or have their SSN’s. But on your 2020 tax return you can claim your child born in 2020 for the stimulus money, as well as the other child-related credits.  You enter your new dependent in My Info.  When you go through the screens in My Info make sure to say your child lived with you the WHOLE year.  When it asks the oddly worded question about whether your child paid for over half their own support say NO.

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check in 2020, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021

The Recovery Rebate Credit will be found in the FEDERAL REVIEW section. ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount”)  If you are eligible it will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

Make sure that you enter ALL of the stimulus money received for the 1st ad 2nd stimulus for yourself, your spouse and your children.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you for the detailed response. I was aware of the information you provided and I had entered all the information as you described for our new baby. However, the response I got when I entered the information is "We crunched the numbers and the amount you received looks right".  However, it doesn't because we now have a 2nd child born in 2020 that Turbotax doesn't appear to be taking into consideration. 

It doesn't look like there is any way to override this inTurbotax before submitting and I don't think it is calculating it correctly. We did get both stimulus checks in 2020 which were based off myself, my spouse, and 1 child. I thought it would be easy to add the 2nd child born in 2020 and receive the reduced stimulus based off our income for our child. Unless I'm missing something, I don't appear to get access to the 1040 until I submit to see if any amount shows up on line 30. Regardless, the UI is telling me it looks right when I know it isn't based off everything I've read.  Thank you, please help!

You can look at your From 1040 before you file  (as already stated in the previous reply):

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

Sometimes users are confused by the flow of information in the software.  The software may have been displaying the stimulus for your baby all along, and you may have misunderstood your refund amount.   Please look at your line 30.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Sorry, I missed that part about previewing the 1040. Line 30 is blank.

I also went back through and made sure our 2nd child was marked for "whole year" which he was.

Was this ever resolved?  I am dealing with the exact problem myself.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Make sure you have a valid for work SSN number entered for the baby and make sure you have indicated that the baby lived with you the whole year.  If you indicate a partial year, you won't qualify for the tax credits.   A child born at any point during the tax year is assumed to have lived with you the entire year.  This is true even if the child was born on 12/31.   If you continue having issues, delete the dependent and re-add them.    @ambersmith1219  And congrats on the new addition!  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I tried to re-enter our child and it didn't change anything. It looks like it is calculating the number based off my 2020 income, not my 2019 (as the original stimulus' did). My income went up so I'm either not eligible or it is calculating it wrong and can't be adjusted.

Sorry that's right.  It is now based on 2020.  If you do not qualify for the Recovery Rebate Credit because of your 2020 tax situation then you will not be able to get the missed stimulus payment.

Per the IRS, your Recovery Rebate Credit amount will be phased out if your adjusted gross income for 2020 exceeds $150,000 if you are married filing a joint return or filing as a qualifying widow or widower, $112,500 if you are using the head of household filing status, or $75,000 if you are using any other filing status.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies