turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can 5 people share Turbo tax premier and file 5 federal returns and 5 state returns within 1 state? Product description says 5 federal and 1 state but it's confusing.

@WandC2020 wrote:

I usually do my children's (they make very little) and my and my husbands tax returns.  

My new computer does not allow discs so unfortunately I had to download.  Had I know it could only be used once I would have used someone else's product.

This is a complete RIP OFF!!! I I will not use Intuits products again.  I will also pass the word around what a RIP OFF you are.

You are mistaken.  With the download you can e-file 5 Federal tax returns (that is an IRS requirement not TurboTax and applies to ALL tax software) but you can print and mail as many returns as you want.   So what are you complaining about?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Can 5 people share Turbo tax premier and file 5 federal returns and 5 state returns within 1 state? Product description says 5 federal and 1 state but it's confusing.

The Desktop download is the same as the CD program.  Sounds like you might have ended up in the Online web version by mistake.  The Online version is not the same thing as the Desktop CD/Download program.

When you filled out your return did you go online and log in?  And see a black column on the left side with the menu items, Federal, State, File etc.

That is Online.

The Windows Desktop program is blue across the top and the menu items like Federal, State, Review, File go across the top.

And you can buy the CD.  It has Instructions on how to download it if you don't have a CD drive.  

Thanks

jwpii

You all have poor marketing -- I purchase your home and business product - according to the marketing materials I can use the purchased program to prepare and file 1 fed and up to 5 state returns.  then you come at the end after I've spent hours putting in my data and tell me I have to pay additional fees to file a state return.  That purely just sucks and is a rude way to conclude your relationship with a customer.  Extracting additional fees when the customer essentially has no choice but to be extorted once again by Intuit - **bleep** deal

You can print and mail your state return for no additional fee. The efiling fee is shown on the web site but you have to search to find it. If you click on "5 federal efiles included", you will see the fee to efile state returns. TurboTax has had this fee for several years. 

I usually purchase the CD version of TurboTax at Costco with their $10.00 off promotion and then ended up paying around $25.00 for the State e-filing.  From your post, it seems that purchasing the online version could actually save me more money.  Thank you for the detailed explanation.  

I disagree with you that Turbo Tax is a Rip-off because it is still cheaper than paying a tax professional.  Perhaps Turbo Tax could have offered discounts on additional installations for returned customers.  Nevertheless, I do believe that they should hear your concern and improve their sales practice in order to maintain their compatibility in the market.  Unfortunately, they do have the biggest market share and it is not always easy to shake the leaves from a big tree.  Just like other companies such as AT &T, Verizon, Spectrum and etc., it is hard to get them to make any improvement in service and pricing policies.

It is difficult to make a price comparison because the product prices from TurboTax vary during the year. Right now TurboTax online for federal is $60 and one state is an additional $50 but it includes state efiling. TurboTax CD/download on is currently $80 including one state return but you must pay the additional $25 to efile the state return. You can probably buy it from Costco for much less. The advantage of the CD/download is that you can prepare an unlimited number of federal returns and efile up to 5 of them for one purchase price. This makes it very economical for anyone preparing tax returns for other family members or friends. 

Also in the Desktop CD/Download program you can buy a lower version.  All the Desktop programs have the same forms, you get more help in the higher  versions.  In the Online versions you may need to upgrade to a higher version to enter things like need Premier to enter Investments or the Self Employed Version to fill out schedule C.

The Desktop program has more features and advantages over Online.  You can see and enter into the actual forms.  You can do more than 1 return.  There is a What-If worksheet.  You can copy your return to test in.  Etc.

I live in GA. I have two sons. One in ga and one in NY. I bought TurboTax 2022. Can I share with my sons in different states? Can all of us do 1 state tax ?

Can my son  in NY do his NY tax with shared TT premier 2022?

If you purchased the CD/download it included the software for ONE state of your choosing.  If you need an additional different state you pay $45 for that state software.  And....the CD/download your purchased is for computers that YOU own.  Are you going to use your own computer to prepare your son's return?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Mike306

So for the different tax returns, can they all be under different TurboTax accounts, or do they need to all be under one account.

@Mike306   If you have the Desktop CD/Download installed program you don't use Accounts.  You just start a new return by going up to the top black menu bar first item File - New Tax Return.

If you are using the Online browser version,  Online is only good for one return per account. But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.

How to start a new online return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

The Desktop CD/Download can do unlimited returns and efile 5 for free
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download

Because of this, it's essentially 1 account. Tried to help my mother-in-law do her own taxes this year only to find out she'll have to buy her own license. Turbotax, just lost a faithful customer. Within the next 2 years, we hire someone or move to another platform.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies