Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What does it cost to efile state

This is a terrible practice by Turbo Tax and is bad for the environment.   State governements should make this illegal.   This encourages people to print vs e-File and wastes paper.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Are you encountering an error @jmsnyc ?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

no, just venting that Turbo Tax charges to be environmentally friendly by charging to efile state

Research it. There is NO CHARGE by the state to efile. It is a separate charge Turbo Tax has. It's called extortion under the guise of capitalism. Hide the fee until you have expended the energy to do the work then "Oh ya, we forgot to tell you...) 

Barbt66

The fee is $25 - not $19.99

Several years ago the fee was increased to $20 from 19.99.  And that is the early discounted fee.  Every year on March 1 the early prices expire and go up to $25.  So try to file before then.  

You are partly correct. The fee is $19.99 if you file BEFORE 3/1. After 3/1 the price increased to 24.99. That is just one of the many issues with TurboTax. There is no reason for the increase. PERIOD. Turbo Tax does NOTHING extra, no software changes, no extra information, no extra personnel to process, nothing out of the ordinary. THEY DONT EVEN PUSH THE BUTTON to send the return. The increase in charges is totally uncalled for and unwarranted. I think this is TurboTaxes last year for me.

jm0501

Yikes, I'm glad I found this thread.  I was about to download two additional states, but at $45 each plus another $25 each for e-file...no thanks!  Sorry, Turbotax, you're not getting another $140 from me.  It's worth it to do it the old school way for the states.

PS1
Level 2

I agree!  And maybe the states should just offer to pay TurboTax for the efiling -- probably would cost the state less than processing the paper version.

DanJ1

For 2021 taxes, I paid $20 for Iowa electronic filing.

Unless you are in New York where you are REQUIRED to efile

The state isn't charging to efile, Turbo Tax is. Federal law prohibits charging for federal tax returns, so Turbo Tax can't charge, but the states still let Turbo Tax charge for the efile of your state return (except in New York where you are required to efile. 

I would think you could do one state, save it, print it and then reopen return, save it with new name, delete state and install another state . You still have to pay to efile but you can print and mail for free

@jmsnyc No----sorry, it does not work that way.   Intuit is not dumb enough to allow that.   If you have to prepare a second state you have to pay for the software.   Or go to the state's tax site and use it to file some other way.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Well, given that more than one person in a family can use a single product (up to 5 installs), you can install it a second time and install another state. I would think , even if you create a new return on the same install you could still do that

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies