turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What does it cost to efile state

Can I trust you on that?? Why doesn't the website say that?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Be sure to differentiate between the cost of the return and the cost to e-file.

• The state return is a separate charge in all Online versions.  The e-filing fee is included in the price of the state.
  • The desktop CD/Download program, Deluxe and above, comes with a state program to prepare unlimited state returns which you can print and mail for free. There will be an additional charge to e-file a state tax return.  Currently, that e-filing fee is $19.99 per e-file.  All prices are subject to change at any time and without prior notice.

@nicksy54

I will never use TurboTax again!

My understanding is there is both return and efile fee. I purchased a download CD in Costco (premier version $45). Then when I start state tax return (two states in total), I was not able to continue unless I pay one state which is $39.99 plus tax. I paid and continue until e-file step - I was surprised by the extra charge for e-file which was not mentioned before at all ($24.99 plus tax) for the 2nd state. I’ve already paid a lot including premier $45, state tax return $39+tax. Now I have to pay the extra fee to finish the tax return... next year I will definitely find a CPA or use other tools.

Thank you but I have to point out that what you said is simply WRONG. Except for only one state you can download "free", for any and every other state download, you got to pay the download which is $44.99 / state, then when you efile for state tax return, that's another $24.99. In total, it's extra $68.98/state.

And even for the only one state download, the filing is not free either, it's still $24.99. Honestly speaking, this is just getting too expensive. 

Nope. If you purchase CD in Costco, you’ll find that one include federal plus one free state. So I only paid the second state. But I still think it is toooo expensive. 

And, to extend the greed of Turbo Tax - "valued customers" like me who has used TT since the early 1990's received an email a few weeks ago that prices would increase in March.  Golly gee - I'm fortunate enough to get to pay an even higher amount to to efile because I am unable to complete my taxes (waiting for 1099s) - how utterly unfair.  So, I waste paper and mail my 2 state returns and keep close to $50 in my pocket rather than give it to TT. I am just brimming with joy now that I know the new definition of "valued customer".  Darn shame cuz TT has great features, excellent help available, but mid tax season increases are just WRONG. 

That's completely incorrect. I bought the state return (for TT Premier). When it came time to file the process takes you through an initial "FREE!" efile, then there's a $19.99 cost (presumably for the state), and then the actual price is $24.99.

With lots of happy talk messages, as an added bonus.

don_l

24.99 now, plus tax. They made it official. What a ripoff

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

The $19.99 state preparation fee was for those who filed an early tax return.  The price has since increased.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I wonder what "early" is, and why that's never mentioned. Funny how the price increase got into the program at the point of filing; for some reason it never made it to the informational content earlier!

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

The price change occurs on the first of March every year.  If you have the online version you can pay and get the lower price in February, and then file when you're ready.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Every March the early prices expire and increase.  In the Desktop CD/Download program the State Efile fee is 19.99 but increases to 24.99.  The CD box says Prices subject to change.

But there will be a delay in Desktop program between March 1 when the price goes up and the next time the program update comes out, usually on Thursdays.  It will show the 19.99 price but you be charged 24.99.

LOL, of course that's because TurboTax's costs increase . . .

Yrwehere

The price to e-file an IN state return is $24.99 with Deluxe Download version. The package says it includes one free state download. It seems the "free state download" is to prepare the state tax return and print it so you can then mail it in, if you like.

There's also a fee of $24.99 (plus applicable sales tax) for the "100% accurate calculations guarantee." This fee can't be removed. I don't understand why you pay for the TT product to prepare your taxes and then have to pay extra if you want that preparation to be accurate? Why not put the "accuracy fee" into the cost of the product? This seems like it's clearly a way to inflate the cost of the product. If people are up against the clock, they will just pay it. I will be doing it for that reason but will never use TT again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies