turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why am i being charged for state return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BrandiS

Unfortunately, as of 3/16/2017 ,11:59 p.m., It is no longer $0 charge to prepare a state return. It is now a fee of $29.99 to prepare a state return. TurboTax prices are set at the time of purchase. We apologize, but our early filer promotions have ended at this time.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
BrandiS

Unfortunately, as of 3/16/2017 ,11:59 p.m., It is no longer $0 charge to prepare a state return. It is now a fee of $29.99 to prepare a state return. TurboTax prices are set at the time of purchase. We apologize, but our early filer promotions have ended at this time.

MarkMax

The software I bought says 1 free state return, Home & Business? When I started state return it asked me if I wanted to use my 1 free state return. Since I don't own anything do I have to file?

Calling BS on the damned extra charge to file 1 state return after PAYING FOR THE STATE RETURN FILING with TTPRO.   Twenty years plus using TT .. and this PISSES ME OFF to the max.   

Don't sell me a product then JACK UP THE CHARGES more and more EVERY YEAR to use the damned product for what it was ALREDY PAID FOR.   

#$%^&*() sell the product than charge the customer to use it.  GETTING AS BAD AS MICROSOFT and SPIRIT AIRLINES ... NEXT you will be charging for ink then data fee then who know what the Hell as optional and add-on fees.    Bait and Switch %^&*()_ 

"NEW MEMBER" YOUR ASS -- I've been using TT for 20 yrs and way back when was on the PRODUCT IMPROVEMENT Group.    CHARGING for what the customer already paid for IS PURE DAMNED BS.

@ airbus737 

This is a user community forum, not a direct route to TurboTax Support.  The moniker "new member" relates only to joining this discussion forum, and has nothing to do with how long you have been using TurboTax.    It means you've only recently joined this forum with that particular profile name.   Perhaps you've used the forum before under a different profile name.  That member status can progress from time to time through various levels according to your forum activity, but your profile shows you just signed up today.

There's not an edition called TTPRO, so I'm not sure what edition you are using.  Did you mean Premier?   Or are you referring to the professional software Intuit ProSeries?  If so, this forum is only for consumer level TurboTax.

If you are referring to a TurboTax personal product, are you referring to the state efile fee in the desktop product?  If so, there is a 24.99 fee to efile each state return, except no fee for New York state.   There is no fee to print and mail the state returns.

RoFr

I have the same problem, and I am referring to this issue:

“ If you are referring to a TurboTax personal product, are you referring to the state efile fee in the desktop product?  If so, there is a 24.99 fee to efile each state return, except no fee for New York state.   There is no fee to print and mail the state returns.”

Ad said “one free state return.”  One step also asked, “Do you want to use your free state return for this return?” I answered yes. So why am I being charged for the free state return? Nothing in the ad clearly stated that the desktop version does not include a free state return. 

@ RoFr wrote:

I have the same problem, and I am referring to this issue:

“ If you are referring to a TurboTax personal product, are you referring to the state efile fee in the desktop product?  If so, there is a 24.99 fee to efile each state return, except no fee for New York state.   There is no fee to print and mail the state returns.”

Ad said “one free state return.”  One step also asked, “Do you want to use your free state return for this return?” I answered yes. So why am I being charged for the free state return? Nothing in the ad clearly stated that the desktop version does not include a free state return.

I don't know what ad you are referring to.  Is it the product info on the TurboTax website?   See image:

state_efile.png

The TurboTax desktop products that include a state program allow for preparation of multiple state returns of the same state, but if one chooses to efile the state returns, there is a state efiling fee of 24.99 for each (except New York).

You wrote:   One step asked: “Do you want to use your free state return for this return?”

Perhaps it said "Do you want to use your free state program for this return",  but I obviously can't see what you saw.

Your question about the state efile fee is not an uncommon one.  It's a common source of confusion for a number of users each year.

Some desktop software editions include a state program (by download.)  Basic Edition does not include a state program.  Deluxe comes in 2 versions--one with both Federal and State, and one that is Federal only.

In those products that do include a state, what is "included" is the state program download to prepare state returns (for that same state.)  There is a 24.99 fee to efile each state return, but no state efile fee for New York state.  There is no fee to print and mail the state returns.

NOTE:  You will avoid an additional service fee if you pay the 24.99 state efile upfront by credit/debit card.  If you were to choose the option to pay the 24.99 state efile fee out of your Federal refund, there is an additional $40 service fee ($45 for California filers.)

@RoFr  I added a screen image to my answer above.

welvwdw

turbo tax has failed 2 a contractional agreement regarding 1 free state tax return.  if i knew how i would start a class action suit against them.  in the event anyone does please let me know so i can join.

desilver

I paid for a state return and this is the 1st and only I have used this year.  What is happening.  Doug

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

There is a fee for state filing software.  For pricing information, please see our page here.  

@desilver 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies