Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@ RoFr wrote:

I have the same problem, and I am referring to this issue:

“ If you are referring to a TurboTax personal product, are you referring to the state efile fee in the desktop product?  If so, there is a 24.99 fee to efile each state return, except no fee for New York state.   There is no fee to print and mail the state returns.”

Ad said “one free state return.”  One step also asked, “Do you want to use your free state return for this return?” I answered yes. So why am I being charged for the free state return? Nothing in the ad clearly stated that the desktop version does not include a free state return.

I don't know what ad you are referring to.  Is it the product info on the TurboTax website?   See image:

state_efile.png

The TurboTax desktop products that include a state program allow for preparation of multiple state returns of the same state, but if one chooses to efile the state returns, there is a state efiling fee of 24.99 for each (except New York).

You wrote:   One step asked: “Do you want to use your free state return for this return?”

Perhaps it said "Do you want to use your free state program for this return",  but I obviously can't see what you saw.

Your question about the state efile fee is not an uncommon one.  It's a common source of confusion for a number of users each year.

Some desktop software editions include a state program (by download.)  Basic Edition does not include a state program.  Deluxe comes in 2 versions--one with both Federal and State, and one that is Federal only.

In those products that do include a state, what is "included" is the state program download to prepare state returns (for that same state.)  There is a 24.99 fee to efile each state return, but no state efile fee for New York state.  There is no fee to print and mail the state returns.

NOTE:  You will avoid an additional service fee if you pay the 24.99 state efile upfront by credit/debit card.  If you were to choose the option to pay the 24.99 state efile fee out of your Federal refund, there is an additional $40 service fee ($45 for California filers.)