Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax says I can't e-file my return after 10-15-2022 even though the tax deadline is 10-17-22

This is on the desktop version: 

TurboTax says I can't e-file my return after 10-15-2022 even though the tax deadline is 10-17-22.

What the heck? 

Why isn't it let people e-file 2 days before the deadline which is on Monday? 

Anyone from Intuit who can help please?

Or at least explain? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

TurboTax says I can't e-file my return after 10-15-2022 even though the tax deadline is 10-17-22

Ok even though it said this, it allowed me to e-file. Weird. 

With the conflicting message, I hope it really filed the return...

@ctx192021  

I'm a fellow user and don't work for TurboTax.   That message is obviously incorrect, since October 17 is the filing deadline this year for those who had extended deadlines.    I've seen 2 users so far report this tonight, and both were using the desktop version.   I don't know if Online TurboTax users are seeing a similar error message.

2021 Dates and Deadlines:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-calendars/tax-year-2021-calendar-imp...

I suspect a lot of people will be posting on this issue in this forum in the coming hours.

You said it allowed you to efile anyway, so I guess there was a way to proceed beyond that message.    Did you get an email that the efile had been transmitted, and when you check the efile status in your desktop software, does it show you the efile status?

Also, be aware that if an efiled return is rejected after it was timely efiled on or before October 17, one has until October 22 to make any corrections and either resubmit the efile or postmark and mail the rejected return.

Could TurboTax just decide to stop taking e-file requests? It seems to me that the return is now sitting at the TurboTax e-file center (like a server?). But it might just be sitting there? 

@mesquitebean I posted about this issue to the moderators.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@xmasbaby0 

@mesquitebean 

@ctx192021 

@frustrated 2021 efiler 

Looks like they are aware....here's a "Notification" I see in my Desktop Premier at 9:30AM Eastern, 16 Oct:   (An actual "Pause" in Desktop e-filing??)

xxOctDeadlineError.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Annnd..of course, the additional zone times I posted are assuming the notification is accidentally mis-using the term "PST" and really meant to say "PDT"   (there's an hour difference between them).

Been bugging TTX to stop doing that and just use the term "PT" or "Pacific" in the future...sighhh . 

Yeah, perhaps I'm nit-picking

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@mesquitebean

@xmasbaby0 

@xmasbaby0

@frustrated 2021 efiler

@Turbotax

Thank you all for responding!

So I didn't get any email confirming my e-filing. 

In the desktop application it says the my status for e-filing is "pending", whatever that means in this situation. 

Why doesn't a TT rep respond here precisely what is going on?

@ctx192021 

Why doesn't a TT rep respond here precisely what is going on?

This is the weekend.   And....read that message in the screen shot.....it is not 1:30 pm Eastern time yet.   So stay tuned for further information.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Sure, it's the weekend before tax filing day and they messed up the e-filing. 

I've been called into work plenty of times on a weekend...don't see why they can't communicate better. 

I filed at 1am last night ET, where there was a different message.

Of course I'll hang on till 130pm ET. No other choice except to just print and mail it as well.

@mesquitebean

@xmasbaby0 

@xmasbaby0

@frustrated 2021 efiler

@Turbotax

Ok, follow up:

Went back to my TT desktop software and I was told my return as rejected because the AGI was wrong. 

I was sure it was correct so...

went to IRS website and searched for last year's return, that I mailed, was not shown as received yet (!).  Wow.

I'm assuming it was because it was mailed (extension deadline) and the IRS is still way behind from pandemic issues.

So I searched here and found this advice: 

• Filed late last year after mid-November or your return was processed after that time—try entering 0. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/returns-rejected-2018-agi-incorrect/00/1139651

So, I entered "0" as recommended.

Just got confirmation that Federal return was accepted by IRS. 

Waiting for State confirm and hope that this is all over with.

Thanks all for responses and help. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies