Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

atebit

TurboTax Premium not showing running refund/owe information

In years past when using TurboxTax online, my running refund/owe amount would show on the screen as I enter my data.  This year, I don't see that at all.  I've tried updating both Firefox & Chrome, but I have the same result in either browser.  Has Intuit removed this feature, or is there actually a problem?Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 14-24-20 TurboTax Premium 2023.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When using the TurboTax online editions - click on Review on the left side of the online program screen.

The Tax Refund/Taxes Due meters will now be visible.

View solution in original post

155 Replies

When using the TurboTax online editions - click on Review on the left side of the online program screen.

The Tax Refund/Taxes Due meters will now be visible.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, the refund doesn't show until you are done with your federal return. This is a change from last year. 

I think the reason for this change is that many people would demand an explanation of each time their refund changed. 

The fact of the matter is that if you don't have all of your information in the return, with all questions answered and the review done, the refund isn't accurate. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
atebit

Thank you @DoninGA , this was the prefect answer as opposed to someone's "opinion". 😀

MrsE
Level 2

@JulieS This does not work for me. Is there another solution?

wang33art

nice  great move...  This will be my last year of using Turbotax. 

@wang33art That answer about not being available until you have completed the return is not true.

The refund meters are available for most users.  However, there are a few that are having this issue.

You can try clicking on Review or Federal Review on the left side of the online program screen.

If that does not help the try clearing cache and cookies on your web browser.

If that does not help then try changing your web browser to one of these you are not currently using, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge

MrsE
Level 2

@DoninGA @JulieS I have tried all of these suggestions and nothing works. I usually use Chrome, tried it in Edge, same thing. I have cleared my cache and this has not made a change either. When I click on review or federal review, it goes through the review process and wants me to fix things I haven't yet gotten to, so I go back to where I left off. I'm happy to know I'm not the only one but this is beyond frustrating. I have been using TurboTax for 20 years and this is extremely disorienting.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Agree with @MrsE this does not work for me either. Being able to see my refund/owe amount across the top of the page was a part of turbo tax that was very liked for this customer and I imagine many more. I would love for someone to be able to tell me how to be able to view it again at the top of the page while I am going through the tax filing process within turbo tax online as I always have for years or I too may have to try another product. If @DoninGA  @CatinaT1  or anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks 

I tried all these solutions and none work.  

I've been using TT for countless years.  Over that time some TT questions trip me up (HSA contributions, 1098, IRA recharacterizations).  I know when entering data the refund / amount owed should get bigger or smaller as the case may be.  When it goes in a opposite direction of what I anticipated I know something is wrong and I need to reassess the entry.  The refund due / amount owed was a valuable tool.  Losing it is a big loss.  Maybe it is time to look at some other tax preparation programs.

DNM1
Level 1

This is exactly what I use the running total at the top for as well. I've also been using TurboTax for many years, but if this is no longer available, it's time to move to a different program.

ltruschk

This is TERRIBLE!! It is part of the process to see the numbers change with the information that is submitted. PLEASE change this back!!!!!

dbsunset
Returning Member

I have used turbo for 20 years maybe, I don't even know. And I will also stop using it b/c of this -- the program is garbage without it, that feature is 10000000000% critical to be able to tackle my very complicated situation. What a joke, the dumbest move Intuit could possibly make.

dbsunset
Returning Member

million percent in the same boat.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies