Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TurboTax Premium not showing running refund/owe information

This is really annoying. My taxes are complicated. I prefer to keep an eye on the numbers at the top and see it changing. If amount changes in the wrong direction then I know I have done something wrong. Now i will just not know. It makes it difficult for the user. I will not use TurboTax until then bring it back.

I am just spreading this to my network as much possible so that less people get affected before aware of it. Most of my friends gave a boot to TurboTax this year.

That was one of the only good features left. TT gets more annoying every year. My thought is always, how will it be more annoying than last year?

I am going to try the free IRS e-file. It might not give the running owe amount (but, TT doesnt either anymore), but it has every form you need to fill in, instead of annoying simplistic menu of crap that we have to use google gemini to interpret. I just want a list of the **bleep** forms, and fill in the slots.

@User0011 @atebit @yogendra-gh @lightyeargua @rezash 

The following was posted by another user and seems to have corrected this issue for others.

If you enter in your W-2 information, and then stop, and go directly to Federal Review on the left hand side, then go ALL the way through the review process (bypass anything that tells you it requires your attention), at the end it will FINALLY show up. Then, it will stay there, and you can go back and enter all your information in, and it will calculate for you as it has in prior years.

mcravatts
Returning Member

I too was extremely frustrated and fluttered when I couldn't get the meter to show up.  Turbo Tax:  This is extremely important  while one enters in the data.  It gives you feedback as to what is going on.  For, me, this is especially important when reconciling RSUs and ESPP stuff, expecting to see the tax owe go way up, and then back to reality as I adjust the cost basis.  Please, please, put this back, or at least make it a bit easier to turn on and off.  If you are getting too many complaints from folks not understanding why the changes are happening, make the default "off", but allow "power users" to easily enable it.  Thanks Again

@mcravatts Did you try the procedure by @DNM1 posted on this thread just a couple posts above yours?

operanut

I tried this last night and it worked, but as of this morning it's not working again.

mcravatts
Returning Member

I did, and it worked, but why did I have to waste an hour to find a working solution? :(  Premium users typically have to reconcile RSU and ESPP, and that meter, at least to me is extremely important to see this stuff upfront, to get the eye opening tax due change, then the relieved "Ahh" and smile after I enter in the proper cost basis.

FridgeTax

What a BS feature change! This utility was so helpful in detecting when TurboTax has incorrectly interpreted some auto-import information and the return number makes sense. This has helped me find issues and fix them on my own. It sucks that Intuit makes the software cater to the least capable/intelligent users and makes it harder to use for people that understand taxes.

Thank goodness!  Appreciate you providing this solution.   I just opened turbotax and was totally disoriented like others.  can't fathom why turbo tax would make you go through those extra steps to get that meter.  It is an essential feature.  Like others, I have complicated taxes and rely on that meter to flag for me when a particular entry is entered incorrectly.   It's particularly important because turbotax changes its flow from year to year so I have to re-navigate the sequences of steps to ensure I get something right (i.e. like the backdoor Roth which should be net neutral but if you don't do it exactly right registers like a taxable event).  

This does not work. The Refund/Payment bar at the top of the screen is not there. Nor does it show up in any other web browser. This is a huge glitch -- how could Intuit allow that to happen???

I agree 1000%. Has anyone been able to fix this problem? TurboTax is useless without the running meter at the top to check your work and make sure you are doing it correctly.

Editing to say this doesn't work, and sitting on hold with TT representative right now who doesn't know how to fix it.   Very frustrating experience -- can't imagine having such an important feature subject to these glitches.  

After you imput your W-2, go to Federal Review Section and keep hitting "continue" to scroll through to the end of the review process, even though TT will tell you that it needs more info from you. At the very end of the federal review process, the refund ticker will show up in the upper left hand corner of your screen. You can then go back to the beginning and start entering your info and do your taxes as usual, and the refund ticker will remain in the upper left corner.

Hope that helps, it worked for me.

MK

Somehow this still doesn't work for me. I'm using Premium. The refund meter is still missing from the top left screen. So far the only way to check is to click "View Tax Summary" in Tools

Can someone who it worked for weigh in on what product they are using?  I am now 90 minutes into customer service at TT and going through review, changing browsers and  clearing cache is not working.   It doesn't show up.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies