Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TurboTax Premier Crashes on MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (stack trace attached)

Uninstalling along with all of the cache and library files, then re-installing seems to work.  However, when the crash notification box comes up, do NOT click on the option to send to TurboTax.  That's what seems to cause the issue and prevented me from using the application.  By just closing the notification box and continuing to use the application it worked for me. 

I am having the same problem on Mojave, have completely removed and reinstalled the app as instructed twice, no result.

MacBook Pro

Catalina 10.15.4

Crashed after attempting to pay for Audit Defense.  No will not launch, uninstalled, cleared files as recommended in this thread, reinstalled and same issue, will not launch past checking for updates.

Help needed.

I also started having this trouble of TT crashing on starting. Here is what I remember the sequence of activity. I had downloaded the Premier version. Prepared taxes for myself, my son (Federal and CA States), then prepared for my daughter Federal & WI state. I was going between all three taxes back and forth and while I Was preparing my own taxes, since this was the first year I was going to prepare for a home based business we had started, I upgraded the version to Business. When I was ready to transmit my daughter's taxes via e-file, I went to the Intuit site to pay the $24.99 for the second state (WI). I paid with my CC and then at completion of payment instead of continuing where I left off in TT, it crashed at that point. After that it started crashing again and again even when I was just reinstalling (without deleting all the relevant files). Then I went thru all the files related to TT2019 under different folders like Cache, Cookies, Application Support, Webkit etc. Initially, I was thinking that in order for me to restore the downloaded version after reinstallation process to the business version, I have to save some of the files and restore them back to the file system and so I saved couple of files to my desktop. Then deleted all the files and reinstalled. After this when I open the app it still would crash. Then I thought perhaps the files on my desktop are still being seen by the installer and perhaps it was crashing and deleted them as well and tried reinstalling opening app. Still it crashed. Finally I realized that the Trash Bin was not being emptied and had all the files deleted thus far. Then when I completely deleted everything including Trash Bin and reinstalled and started the app, it came up and was able to open my previously prepared tax files. However one small issue still lingers - that is now when the app comes up, it shows a error report screen which needs to be sent to Intuit by clicking on "Send Report". When I click on that Send Report, it would crash again but if I just decide to close that error window the app will stay open. It took almost one whole day to get to this point.

What is surprising and frustrating to me that this must be such a major issue that Intuit Engineers must be working on and patching the product by now if I see some three on this going on since January but they don't seem to care to work on any patches to this issue. When I called the support desk the Product Support people don't even try to go over this symptom as a "Known Issue" either to suggest a work around!!!

@sastryh  Did you install form a CD or download directly form TurboTax?

I have seen that some others with this issue have contacted customer support to push the current download version to their account "My Downloads" and then uninstalling using the following instructions and then reinstalling using the current download, solved the problem.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901209-reinstall-turbotax-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I installed with the Download and not a CD. Also, initially I was not sure how the uninstall process on a Mac and what are the equivalent steps to delete the Registry entries in a Windows PC. Then I tried on my own self research knowledge based on an earlier uninstall process of a different application, went thru some of the folders under ~/Library searching for all TurboTax2019 entries with no success. Then somewhere I found these two links you had sent and was able to succeed. I am not happy with the way Intuit is not able to help the customers out there who will continue to face the problem as it will be the most recurring issue and so easy to reproduce as this is very basic when anyone wants to file for more than one state using the Business edition on a Mac. 

I was almost done with my tax running TurboTax Delux 2019 when it just disappeared.   I am on iMac, Catalina 10.15.4.

I retarted the system and relaunched TT, it appeared a second and disappeared.

I spent hours on the phone with the help desk.  They made me uninstall, reinstall from my CD, install and reinstall from online downloads.  It always crashed the same way - one flash and disappeared.

They then gave me a list of files to delete from Library.  I deleted all traces for *Turbo*2019* from my computer, even the files such as log files.  Emptied the Trash bin, restarted.  Reinstalled from my CD (dated Oct 16, 2019, 5:23 am).  The same crash.  

My question:  has the software ever been tested on Catalina 10.15.4?

According to Help desk, my option now is to do it Online, and they will give me a "discount", which means after all my trouble with your software, I have to pay again and have to re-do my tax!!!

Did you uninstall this way?

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901209-reinstall-turbotax-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I had similar problem.  I was almost done and had just paid for State efile when it crashed.  I called the Help desk and their record showed that I paid for the state efile.  In any case, after numerous hours talking to the help desk and tried different things, it always crashed.

I just cleaned up all *Turbo*2019* files from my computer and reinstalled.  I got the "It looks like we hit a snag" message from them, too bad I sent the error report and TT crashes as usual.  Will try cleaning up my computer and retrying and ignoring the error message.

Yes, the help desk gave me the instructions to remove TurboTax 2019 related files in Library and other folders.  I did that, emptied the trash, rebooted and reinstall.  Same crash.

Sorry, but I cannot test it.  I NEVER install a new Mac OS until it has been out for at least a year so the bugs to be worked out.  Apple has a habit of releasing updates that break other 3rd party applications without notice.  It has happened many times in the past, not just with TurboTax but many applications.

I finally gave up, pulled out an old Mac Mini machine running High Sierra, installed TurboTax 2019 and filed my taxes.  The software just does not work with Catalina 10.15.4

I know it worked fine with OSX 10.15.2 .   TurboTax (AFAIK) uses the Apple supplied developer software package to write and compile the TurboTax software for Mac  (there is no other way to utilize the built in Mac OS functions that are Apple proprietary.)

This would not be the first time that Apple released an update that their own developer software crashed on.  That happened with Mac OS X 10.13.2 that ran fine but crashed with 10.13.3 because a built in Apple function crashed.

Who is responsible?  Who knows?   Personally I do not think that a software company is responsible for Apple changes that happen after the software is released.   It would be very time consuming and costly to have to test *every* function of the software every time a OS update is released by Apple when they used Apples own developer software to produce the product in the first  place.

I am on iMac running Catalina 10.15.4.

After many crashes and many hours talking to Help Desk, I read some posts on this discussion group to make sure NOT to touch the error message window.  So I deleted all related file for 2019 tax, emptied the trash.  restarted and reloaded from CD.  And, I did not touch the "It looks like we hit a snag." message.  It worked, for a while.  Then crashed when I tried to efile Federal and State together.  So I file Federal only, successfully.  Now I try to file State and it gave me the "TurboTax quit unexpectedly" message every time.

So basically, delete TurboTax files, empty trash, restart, reload TurboxTax and DO NOT send error report.

I don't agree with the "do not think that a software company is responsible for Apple changes" argument.  You may not be responsible for their changes, but you are responsible for providing fixes or work-arounds.  If you cannot do that, then you have no right to charge for a product that may or may not work.

The whole thing is absurd.  Intut has been notoriously negligent of Mac users in the past.  I thought this might possibly be changing, but guess not.  I hate to change from Quicken and TurboTax, but that may be the easiest solution at this point.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies