turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax 2020 install fails on Activation - screen is blank

Install on Dell Windows 10 - cannot see Activation screen - comes up as blank.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

321 Replies

@NCperson 

Any hints here?  Did TTX/Windows ever Fix that problem with installing on the most recent Windows version?

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I see Windows just released a new cumulative update in the past couple days...make sure that is fully installed & rebooted first, then try again.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Still have a blank screen after reinstall and reboot

@suetif wrote:

Still have a blank screen after reinstall and reboot

Contact TurboTax support for this issue.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Or -

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Or -

Use this phone number and select TurboTax - 1-800-4-INTUIT (1-800-446-8848)

@suetif - is your computer new (purchased after Oct 10, 2020) or does it have Windows Version 2h02 (you can check this way: start button > Settings > System > About)

if yes, then there is a known Turbo Tax issue,  I surfaced this to Turbo Tax in early November and am on their master list waiting on resolution.  In other words, 'they know' and they know the problem is going to grow as more people upgrade their computer. 

if no, then suggest calling TurboTax as the problem is elsewhere.  Did you turn off your firewall and virus softwares? that is what they are going to walk you through. 

@SteamTrain - I was going to wait until then end of this week to call TurboTax again.  Figure they normally provide software pushes on Thursdays and nothing got done during Thanksgiving week.  Since I am on their master list, I am supposed to get an email when they think they have fixed it and have not received anything yet. (Just tried to uninstall and reinstall to see if maybe it was fixed and it is not).

yes, new Dell, purchased 11/24/20 from Best Buy. My older laptop is Windows 7, so needed to upgrade in order to continue to use Turbo Tax, as well as other software products.

@suetif - then I would sit tight for a few weeks and not call TurboTax now.   if you do call, suggest using my case number as it will make the call go quicker.  Ask that your email address be added to the master ticket.  

case # 465607817- you have the same issue I do. 

I would try uninstalling and reinstalling every week or so to see when it's fixed.  Over the years, it appears Turbo Tax sends out their updates pushes on Thursdays.....they know this is a growing problem, esp. given the number of folks getting off Windows 7 and the holiday season purchases. 

@suetif 

If you just bought the computer you probably have a multitude of updates that WIN 10 needs to do since the computer could have sat on a shelf for several weeks ( one last week took several hours to do so you need to leave the computer running)  ... check for the updates several times and reboot several times ... see if that helps.

@Critter-3 - it won't.   I have been on the phone with TT for hours earlier in November and they confirmed any computer with Windows Version 2H20 is going to be an issue.   That version of windows was put on all new PCs beginning on its Oct 10, 2020 release.   

it also impacts TT2019 since both 2019 and 2020 require the activation. 

Interesting .. WIN 10 at it's best. 

@SteamTrain 

the updates pushed last night did NOT solve for the windows version 2h20 issues.  

I'll check again next Friday 

WE HAVE A RESOLUTION (pun intended - see below)

I contacted TT this morning to find out when this would be resolved..... and it has been (if you know the trick!)

• change your resolution to 800 x 600 (start>setting >system resolution. once it's been changed, your screen size will look very big. REMEMBER your initial resolution setting!
  • launch TT and the activation screen should launch.  copy / paste in your activation code. you should get the 'all set' green check mark
  • change your resolution back to what is was originally. 

it worked for me!

I'm not sure I'd call a kluge-fix as being "resolved", and I hope they don't consider the matter closed  (I have occasional trust issues).

Resolved is getting it fully fixed in their most recent installation software, and it would be preferable/necessary  that they generate a separate executable fix file,  posted in their FAQ area,  to download and execute for anyone who has the initial 2020 TTX installation file.    ( Might need one for 2019 software and another for 2020 software )

It worked for me, too! Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies