Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax 2020 Form 2210 error

I'm receiving this error when checking my return.

Check This Entry

Form 2210: IRS to figure Penalty Box You must check this box or obtain an update before you file this return.  To receive an update, select Check for Updates froth TurboTax menu to go directly to our Web Site.

When I check for updates everything is up to date.

When will turbotax update the forms so that it can calculate the penalty?

Mark

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Form 2210 is tentatively expected to be available in TurboTax on February 25. It will not necessarily be available first thing that morning; it could be late in the day, Pacific time. And the date is subject to change.

You can see a list of the current expected availability dates at the following link.

IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products

View solution in original post

25 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Form 2210 is tentatively expected to be available in TurboTax on February 25. It will not necessarily be available first thing that morning; it could be late in the day, Pacific time. And the date is subject to change.

You can see a list of the current expected availability dates at the following link.

IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products

TT is still experiencing errors with the 2210 Form.  Will not resolve fixes.  Says totals do not add up correctly.  Will not fix and will not let me proceed to file either electronically or by mail.  I already paid for TT but it won't let me file.

That's unfortunate.  I was able to get TT to fill mine out and successfully file.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax is aware of errors related to calculating underpayment penalties on Form 2210. The problem has been reported and is under investigation.

Taxpayers can continue to e-file with the option of deleting the form and allowing the IRS to calculate any underpayment penalty for you. 
How to delete a form in TurboTax CD/Download software 
How to delete a form in TurboTax Online 

@jannis26

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Just filled out my taxes using Windows CD download (Deluxe) version.  Noticed form 2210 is wrong on page 3 and has data in column (b) and it should be blank for 2020.  This leads to errors in columns (c) and (d).  Says taxes are underpaid when in fact they are overpaid.  The 1040 shows no penalty but form 2210 doesn't support that conclusion.  Used Annualized Income method.

FYI - my latest installed updates are March 4.

I spent 3 hours on the phone with Turbo Tax to resolve. Fix was I had to sign out of every location and reset web cache on every browser in order to finally bring back option to delete Form 2210. I had to file my taxes without the being allowed to use Form 2210. I was so frustrated I just submitted my taxes without Form 2210, which likely resulted in me paying more in taxes. Turbo Tax did nothing to help me feel better about the situation. I asked for a refund or a little help with the $200 I paid to use the service and they said “um.....no”.  I can confidently report that I will not use Turbo Tax again. 

Spike11
Returning Member

When will TurboTax fix this error?  I printed off the form 2210 when I couldn't understand why TT was flagging errors on the form for my return, and started to work through it manually.  There are a number of errors in the way the form was filled out by TT.  Considering that we are almost 2 weeks out from when TT issued the form, corrections are long overdue.  This form has never worked particularly well in TT, but this year is definitely the worst. It appears as if no one tested the code before they launched the Form out the the public?

didaviscpa
Returning Member

I notified them on February 27 regarding this error. It was handled almost correctly (not quite, since there were erroneous entries in column b) before the form became available for e filing They emailed me back saying

"Thank you for being a TurboTax customer.Claudette passed on to me information in regard to Form 2210. Currently, there is an ongoing investigation into the line 20 through 26 issue that you and Claudette discussed. I have attached your case to the investigation. Your case number is 47208880.We will notify you when there is a resolution to this situation. Once again, thank you for using TurboTax. We will let you know as soon as we have a resolution.

Best Regards,

Monica

CPA

TurboTax Live, Seasonal Manager

I find it unbelievable that it has not been corrected as of yet (March 16th)

Spike11
Returning Member

Thanks - sadly TT doesn't seem to have much interest in supporting this particular form.  It would be much better if, during EasyStep, they guided you by saying  "It looks like you need to complete this form; it requires you to do some research of your financial records.  This is what you need to have available, and once you have it, go to "Forms" and fill it out manually".   This idea that you find out at the error checking stage, and they only give the line item number without any description is stunningly inept.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Some TurboTax customers are experiencing an issue with Form 2210 not calculating lines 18-26 correctly.    If you're experiencing the issue above,  please go here to receive email notifications when any updates related to this issue become available.

If you are using the annualized income method, try deleting Forms 2210 (AI) and then revisiting the penalty section by searching for penalty and using the Jump to penalty link.  You have the option to have the IRS calculate the penalty.   Or you can calculate the penalty, use the annualized income method, or request a waiver.   If you have the IRS figure the penalty, they will send a bill and as long as you pay it by the date on the notice, there is no additional interest or penalty charged.  

The law allows the IRS to waive the penalty if:

1. You didn't make a required payment because of a casualty event, disaster, or other unusual circumstance and it would be inequitable to impose the penalty, or
  2. You retired (after reaching age 62) or became disabled during the tax year or in the preceding tax year for which you should have made estimated payments, and the underpayment was due to reasonable cause and not willful neglect.

For more information, refer to the Instructions for Form 2210    @Spike11

The above link gives deleting forms instructions for Desktop, this link has Online Instructions.  

didaviscpa
Returning Member

The problem is I am using 2210AI and TT does it correctly. However, it is Form 2210 that is done incorrectly. TT shows a correct penalty of 0, yet they show an underpayment of over $4,500 because the calculations of lines 18-26 are incorrect. It looks ridiculous to e file a correct tax return with the correct penalty of 0, yet Section A is not correct showing an underpayment

didaviscpa
Returning Member

I am using the Windows Download version. How can you fill out a form manually? TT will accept that and will e file the return?

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are having issues and need assistance, please contact customer support. Please see the Customer Support phone number hereIf you would like to reach out through our website, please see the TurboTax FAQ below for contact information: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

didaviscpa
Returning Member

It is now March 27th. Although on Form 2110 with regard to column 26(a) now being correctly carried forward to 20(c), etc. there is still an error. In the "tax payment worksheet form" if you enter two 7/15 estimated tax payments to correspond with the 4/15 and 6/15 payments, form 2210 line 19(a) ignores the second 7/15 payment and thus the whole form 2210 is again incorrect showing underpayments, although again the penalty does show 0. You can work around this to get a correct form 2210 Part IV by entering both 7/15 payments on line 1 of the tax payments worksheet and entering 0 on the second 7/15 amount line. I still cannot believe how long this has taken. By the way the new software update (3/26) correctly lists the date of withdrawal as May 17th.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies