Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax 2019 for mac crashed

Having the same issue but, mine crashes after trying to restore the already purchased audit defence. I use an app called disk doctor to clear the app data and the app recovers, but crashes every time when i hit ok to the restore the purchased audit defense. Would love to file my taxes...... hoping for a fix soon. 

I just realized a post someone mentioned earlier about the little close button vs the big blue one. If you click the little one it doesn't crash!

After three weeks of agonizing for a solution, my problem is solved and my taxes are filed! The fix, for me, ended up requiring a new download of the TT Deluxe for Mac program that I originally bought on CD. I removed all of the old files and reinstalled from the downloaded version and it worked. If you are still having problems, please follow the advice of the previous discussions and then call to ask for a new download. Good luck!

Think I got it!!!!!!

So, all of your comments and replies have been very helpful for me to follow.  I finally gave up on all the uninstall and reinstall.   There's something really weird about what this program does to the Mac OS.  I have experienced everything you have all noted, starting with the famous crash after attempting to continue filing (and paying for audit defense!)    But the secret for me was to forget about the reinstalls and create a brand new user on the mac.  By doing so, the library and other supporting data is "clean."  

Note that when doing this, the applications folder is still visible to the "new user".  So after logging in with the new account, I launched TT from the applications folder and lo and behold, it didn't crash.   Checked for all updates and finished.   

The way I got the data file to the "new user" was to put it in the applications folder where it was also visible to the new user and then move it to the new user documents folder.   My next step was to open everything up and print all forms and supporting data to a pdf - in case it will crash again when trying to file.  If that happens, I plan to use the printed info in the pdf to fill out the tax forms in the online version.   I got the TT representative that I called a week ago when all this started to document in the notes that if I couldn't go further, I would get a credit for the online version.  

I haven't filed yet, but it looks quite hopeful at this point since I have no more error checking or any other stuff to do before filing.   Good luck.  Let me know if this all works for you.  

Same problem here. Support hung up on me. I finally filed my nephew's taxes through Freedom but that does not help me. Mine are very complicated. Anyone know of a mac tax program that may be comparable to Turbo tax home and biz for mac? Or better yet, any solutions as to how to fix this problem?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to customer support to troubleshoot the crash issue you are having with your Mac.

What is the TurboTax phone number? - Community

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the tip - I loaded TT on my wife's MacAir and it worked fine - was able to submit  Federal & State with no problem

I spent 3 hours with TT help and they were NO help - thanks for the tip.  All done now!

I would also look at this thread which also has folks with this issue which I too also experienced: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-my-turbotax-2019-for-mac-no-longer-opens/01/14...

Really surprised that TurboTax hasn't addresses this yet.

KyraT

Hopefully you've solved your issue by now...

I went through a series of suggestions posted here. (I'm also using a mac, (old mac, still on High Sierra) bought my TT on a CD from Costco)

First, uninstall Turbotax. I googled "uninstall turbotax mac" and got step by step instructions to hunt down all of the support files and destroy them.

Next re-install. I was on the phone with support through this, so they directed me to download the software, provided a link, etc. I don't think it made any difference, as I had incompletely uninstalled and reinstalled TT a few times before. All that matters is finding the support files.

Once it was reinstalled it picked up where I left off, got to the pay screen, and repeatedly crashed. At least the software restarted, and it recognized that I had already paid. (I might have to credit TT support for that last part.)

After doing this a few times I remembered reading another post that noted two "close" buttons after the pay screen, one big blue one and one small grey one. I'd been using the big blue one because the grey one is covered up by the apps on the dock, hard to see and hard to get to. Use the small button. It closes the window and moves on to the next screen without crashing.

Taxes are filed.

Thank you everyone who posted here - you all were far more helpful than TT support. I hope you are all well and have solved your tax problems.

Yeah, that's what I did too. Used the "small" close button, and then relaunched the software, e-filed my taxes, and called it done.

Here it is May 2020, and Intuit has not fixed this problem. I just had exactly the same issue occur. Of course the application was fully updated, since it runs through the updating routine every time you restart the app. It's shameful that Intuit sees fit to put out software like this. 

I appreciate the advice I have found here, and I will give it a try tomorrow. 

Thanks for your help! I had some success eliminating the turbo references in the Library, but found I could not print. I eventually eliminated all Turbo 2019 Library items, with no better success. However, since my wife had a partition on my Mac, I logged in as her, transferred TT and my tax file to her partition, AND IT WORKED!!! Not sure if it would have been successful with the old Library elements in place.

BTW, it looks like any time TT exits to run a separate script (buy a state, purchase Audit Protection) it bombs because TT issues a bad command when it attempts to restart. Why they had not fixed this from all the crash reports they must have received is beyond me!

I removed all the library files, restarted, and relaunched, and it's still bombing out. 

I saved the contents of the error log, but I'm not a programmer, so I can't read them. 

Same problem with TurboTax 2020.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please contact us directly using the link here.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies