turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax 2020 not adding Form 2210 for underpayment penalty

Hello,

I have an underpayment penalty this year. Turbo Tax correctly calculates my penalty but does not add form 2210 to my return. It then shows an error during the error checking phase, and clicking on the "fix errors" button only allows me to click the checkbox to have the IRS calculate the penalty for me.

I do not want the IRS to calculate the penalty. I want to pay my penalty now when I file my taxes. How can I get Turbo Tax to generate Form 2210 for me? Do I have to add Form 2210 manually? If so, how?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

180 Replies

Form 2210 won't be ready and available until Feb 18.  

Federal forms Availability

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-pe...

I see that IRS posted the form just yesterday, February 9.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/formsPublications.html?sortColumn=postedDate&indexOfFirstRow=...

It hasn't found its way in Turbotax yet, it appears.

Why hasn’t TurboTax addressed this if the Form is already available?  The whole point of the form is because Penalties are due, and by more and more each day that we are left waiting on TurboTax to get it posted and resolve the road block so returns can be efiled. 

It appears TurboTax has now scheduled form 2210 for 2/25/2021, a week later than previously.

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_mac_individual.html

Anonymous
Not applicable

I noticed that too. Why Turbotax is doing this?!

I'm in the same boat and this is adding to my penalty.  I was frustrated to see it change from the 18th to the 25th.  Why can't they add the form which is provided directly by the IRS? 

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/list-of-available-free-file-fillable-forms#2210

@Itsmeeee  The underpayment estimated penalty is not for filing or when you pay the Tax Due.  In fact you could pay your tax due now before your return gets filed.  The tax due is not due until April 15 so the late penalties and interest don't start until then. 

This estimated penalty on your return  line 38 is a done deal.  If you do not pay enough tax during the year, you may have to pay a penalty for underpayment of estimated tax. Even if you are getting a refund you can still owe a penalty for not paying in evenly during the year. Generally, most taxpayers will avoid this penalty if they owe less than $1,000 in tax after subtracting their withholdings and credits, or if they paid at least 90% of the tax for the current year, or 100% of the tax shown on the return for the prior year, whichever is smaller. It is included in your tax due or reduces your refund.

Exactly, Volvogirl — the only solution is to go offline, which frustrates the intended purpose of using an online tool to efile.  

Moreover, why does the tool itself block users from efiling until “fix errors” is resolved given that they know it is impossible to do? And, why advise us in the tool that the timing on it is early February if that is not accurate?  This seems to be false and misleading. 

Finally, why would we want to default to an April 15 penalty calculation if it is lower if paid before then  if the online tool actually worked for us properly on this matter? 
LAC8

I am also waiting to file my taxes and waiting on this form!  I ended up in an underpayment for 2 reasons.  

1- Started a new job and had to wait to be enrolled in 401K creating more weekly income and not enough tax taken out.

2- Ended being unemployed later and taking unemployment without taxes withheld on federal level.

I'm so annoyed. I have been waiting to file my taxes since end of January and TurboTax has now extended this form's date THREE times. I just want to get this over with and not have to worry about it. Also funny how they made me pay them before I could even file...

Turbotax is late in updating the tax forms.

The IRS website shows that Form 2210 for 2020 was published on 2/9/21, but as of today (2/13/21), Turbotax still cannot complete the filing of my return because "Form 2210 is not ready".

Kthall13
Returning Member

I'm curious, and it sound like many of you are seeing the same thing.  The form 2210 exists currently in my TurboTax, but apparently it's not updated, which is why it won't work.  I'm curious how we will know when it is updated?  Does anyone know if there will be any notification?

It's frustrating because there's no way to get ahold of someone. If anyone has any info or are lucky enough to contact someone, can you let us know? What if this keeps extending and we can't even file. I can't believe they're making people wait. Definitely makes me want to hire someone for next year instead of TurboTax. At least then, I can actually speak to someone.

rrh
Level 3

What a Shock!  They did the same thing last year with Form 8606 which was available on the IRS website long before TurboTax made it available.  I recall checking back for weeks only to see that it was yet delayed again, week after week.  They offered the excuse that it was due to the IRS not making the form available to them in a useable format.  I seriously doubt the IRS is responsible for TurboTax's delays ...

It is apparent that nobody at TurboTax cares about this.  If they had better customer service and would address these issues, I would gladly recommend them; clearly they don't care about the inconvenience they cause by not updating these forms in a timely manner.

I would pose the question:  Does anybody at TurboTax care enough to fix this?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies