turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

turbo tax 2019 deluxe (as of 1/25/2020) does not prompt for 1098-T form

The current version skipped the 1098-T prompt altogether, and starts asking about books and supplies expense for education, skip the tuition and fees section. 

I searched answer online and one best answer (for turbo tax 2018 workaround) was to search 1098-T in turbo tax search, and jump the link to the form. I did not see a link to the 1098-T form in 2019 version.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

To enter your Form 1098-T information (even when TurboTax thinks it has already been entered and is showing $0), go through the entire education expenses section of your return until you reach the screen titled “Your Education Expenses Summary”, then follow these steps:

• Click Edit next to the student name.
  • On the screen titled “Here’s your Education Summary”, click Edit beside Tuition.
  • Enter the information from your Form 1098-T.

To go directly to the Education section of your return, use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “education” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to education
  • Click on the blue “Jump to education” link
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jodi27

This work around is not working.  I have tried everything and Turbo Tax will not let me enter my tuition expense.  

JosephF8
Expert Alumni

Try this one.

Here's how to edit the 1098-T in TurboTax:

• From Deductions & Credits
  • Expenses and Scholarships (form 1098-T) hit Update
  • From the page that says Now Let's Gather The Additional Education Expenses
  • Hit Continue. You will need to continue through several screens until you get to the screen that says Your Education Expenses Summary click Edit

At Here's Your Education Summary you can Edit, Delete or Add New School

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
davidr69

I know this says "resolved", but I tried all the above solutions and none worked. I noticed the "Forms" button and clicked that, and I saw the 1098-T. I filled in the the tuition amount there, returned to the step-by-step guided entry, and the tuition appeared.

MikeH2009

I had trouble using some of the above work a rounds using the Deluxe version. I think the one suggestion saying to click on Jump To works if you happen to find the Jump To link.  Probably the easiest way is to go to the top menu and Click on FORMS right below STEP BY STEP, which you will use to get back to the prompts. 

However, when you click on FORMS and go to 1098-T it will start off as if the Taxpayers are the Students, you need to scroll a little and then click on the child's name to link it. Then you'll enter the amounts from the 1098T. But maybe you have to enter data before link.  I don't remember since I started over with a new form since I wasn't confident in TurboTax's computation.

INTUIT please take note...

We buy this software because we do not want to have to know how to do taxes on our own.  I feel sorry for the parents whose first year with a 1098-T is this year and don't realize your software is screwed up.  It was my fourth year so I was familiar enough to know something was wrong.  I waited a week with hopes of an update coming out.  Then I started over and completed it.  This with your update screen showing a broken link "MORE INFO" has convinced me that you no longer care about the quality of your products.  A few years ago I made you aware of a calculation error on VA state for multi state filers and you never updated it, I suspect because of end of season.  I am going to reconsider buying Turbotax in the future after decades of use.

Maybe I'll send a letter to your company with a CC to IRS.

How much profit will you lose if you have your programmers add the prompt to add in 1098-T information?

Then you should send an email to the registered owners to update their software and rerun their calculations if they have already filed and have college students.

Thank you.

It's May 3, 2020 and this still hasn't been resolved.  Unbelievable!

If it matters to anyone, for me, the prompt did not appear for a child who was not in their first year of college (and so their data had been entered in previous years).  But I was prompted to enter the data for a child who was in their first year of college.

kimv
Returning Member

You have got to be kidding me!  I put all of my 1098 information in for my son, I put in all of the amounts and filled everything out, answered all of the questions, everything was there, the amount and his grant so I checked it and everything looked good so I filed my return and none of that information printed out on my return.   It looks like I did not disclose the 1098T on my taxes at all.  What in the heck do I do now???  Where is my printed out form that I filled out for that, why is it not on my return?  one thing I do not do is mess with my taxes, now what!!!????!!!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kimv 

What are you trying to accomplish on the tax return? The 1098-T has nothing that really has to be "disclosed" on the tax return.  What are you expecting to see? 

The form is used for one of two things - to help you calculate the education credit, or to report a taxable scholarship (which wouldn't go on your tax return if your son is the student) so I am assuming that you may have a potential tax credit here. 

If your son's Box 5 is greater than his Box 1, then you don't have anything to take a credit for (most likely). This would explain why you would see nothing on your tax return - there is nothing to see.

If that isn't the case (Box 5 is not greater than Box 1), then go back to deductions & credits and walk back through the education section carefully to be sure your answers are all still marked correctly and let us know what the program says at the end about your credit. 

kimv
Returning Member

It said I was not eligible for a tax credit this year, could be because of income but this was the first year he got a very small grant but box 5 was smaller than box 1 but box 1 was very small considering last year due to the credits he took.  I would have assumed it would have showed something for us disclosing the 1098T, this is the first time my tax return was super short so I freaked out that something was wrong.  I already filed my taxes and I double checked all of the numbers and made sure everything was in there about 10 times before I filed it, my ocd I hate clicking the file button without looking it over all the time.  I just don't want a letter in 3 or 4 years that something is wrong.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kimv 

We're so used to everything we entering having a "place" on the tax return, so I understand the panic!  In this case, it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about.  there are a number of reasons you may not have been eligible for the credit - too few hours, too much income, too little expense (because of the grants), etc. but as long as you entered everything straight from those forms and answered all of the questions that answer is typically right when it says that.  It can get complicated when you have distributions from 529 plans but that's another story. 

However, in your case there isn't anything that you have to disclose. You entered what you did so Turbotax could determine if you had a credit, or a taxable income situation and when you didn't have either it didn't produce anything because you didn't have any benefit to gain or any income you were required to declare. 

That form itself doesn't have a disclosure requirement the same way your W2 or other things do.  Hang onto it with your other important documents, but you can sleep well tonight - you don't have anything to worry about!  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies