Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to get Recovery Rebate Credit for child born in 2020

I have TurboTax Premier and am trying to find out how to get the $500 + $600 catch-up stimulus payment for my child born in 2020 via the Recovery Rebate Credit. I received the full $3,400 in first stimulus payment (2 adults, two qualifying children) and $2,400 in second payment. I entered the child correctly, and indicated that the child has lived with us for the "whole year", but after going through the questionnaire at the end, nothing happens, I do not get the $1,100 adjustment (for the record, I now have 3 qualifying children).

Does this mean that TurboTax doesn't yet have the logic programmed to process this? I'm going to wait before filing and update the software in a month or two and check again.

Anyone have luck with this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Congratulations on your new baby! 

After further research, you should be getting the extra $1,100 for your new family member.  Please go back and check your entries for the baby, especially check the SSN.  Also remember to indicate that:

• No - The child didn't pay for more than half of his living expenses; and 
  • No - A relative didn't live in your home and help support him.

For additional information, please see the following articles on the IRS website:

[[EDITED 2/5/2021 | 11:37am PST]

View solution in original post

17 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Congratulations on your new baby! 

After further research, you should be getting the extra $1,100 for your new family member.  Please go back and check your entries for the baby, especially check the SSN.  Also remember to indicate that:

• No - The child didn't pay for more than half of his living expenses; and 
  • No - A relative didn't live in your home and help support him.

For additional information, please see the following articles on the IRS website:

[[EDITED 2/5/2021 | 11:37am PST]

Huge thank you for checking. Those other steps were filled out correctly. There are other threads on this as well here. Looks like this is a TurboTax bug!

TurboTax has the logic to process the payments.  Something seems to have gone wrong with the entry for your child.

Please delete the entry for the child in the TurboTax interview.  Then make sure that the form is not still in TurboTax.

You need to do this on a computer or in a browser.  It will not work in the app.  

On the left select Tax Tools
Tools

Delete a form

Find the form for the child and delete it

Enter all of the child's information again and see if the stimulus amount is corrected.

It is possible that there is an error in one of the other dependent's information.

Go through the same process with your other dependents until you get the correct stimulus payment amount.

If you are still unable to resolve this you can contact TurboTax for more help.

How to Contact TurboTax

Thank you for the suggestion.

I removed and added back the child, still no luck.

Hmmm, and the “Tools” menu doesn’t have a “Delete a form” option. I’m on my Windows laptop, using TurboTax premier.

EDIT: I found the forms and confirmed that the form was removed. I re entered the child info and still nothing on the recovery rebate credit.

In that case you may need to contact someone who can look at your screen and try to find what is causing the error.

How do I Speak to a Live Person at Turbotax

1. First of all, you have to dial 1-800-446-8848 (1-800-4-INTUIT)
  2. After that, press 1.
  3. Now, press 1 for the US or press 2 for Canada.
  4. After that, you will automatically connect with the live person from Turbotax.

Thank you. Spoke to a rep with screen share for almost an hour, confirmed that everything was entered correctly. We finally submitted my return to turbo tax for review. Hoping we can figure this out!

No response from TurboTax, considering I’m paying $140+ to do my own taxes, I’m not happy right now.

@msfin19 wrote:

No response from TurboTax, considering I’m paying $140+ to do my own taxes, I’m not happy right now.

You can contact TurboTax support again

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Or -

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Or -

Use this phone number and select TurboTax - 1-800-4-INTUIT (1-800-446-8848)

Suggest you also try these procedures -

Check that your software is at the latest release.  Click on Online at the top of the desktop program screen.  Click on Check for Updates.

Once updated or verified the software is at the latest release, save your return and close the program.

Re-start your computer.   After re-start open the TurboTax program again.

Verify that you have answered correctly all the questions asked about the child as a dependent.

You chose My Child, that the date of birth is correct in the format MM/DD/YYYY, that the child lived in your home for the Whole Year, that the child did NOT provide over one-half of their own support, that there was NOT anyone else in the home providing support to the child, that you and your spouse (if applicable) were the legal parents of the child, that the child has a valid SS number and the box for not valid for employment is NOT checked.

If all is correct then go through each section of TurboTax under Federal, Wages & Income, Deductions & Credits, Other Tax Situations.  After completing those sections go to Federal Review and check your entries.  After completing Federal Review if the credit for the child is still not showing, the next thing for you to do is to uninstall the TurboTax program and re-install.  This should remove any errors or conditions preventing the child from receiving the credit.

Note - Uninstalling the software does not remove the tax data file for your tax return.

I’ll try the clicking through everything and uninstalling, good suggestion! Thank you!

sbass1420

Did this work for you?? I'm having all of the same issues you explain above. 

My sure the baby's name and social security number match what is on the social security card.  You said that you have answered all the questions correctly and selected that the baby lived with you the whole year. 

Delete the baby's information.

Make sure that you are using the Chrome browser.  Go to the three dots at the top, select settings, then privacy and security.  Clear browsing data for all time.

Enter the baby's information again.  Make sure that the program shows that the baby lived with you all year in 2020. 

Because both stimulus payments are an advance on the 2020 tax return, you will receive a stimulus payment for the baby for both 2019 and 2020.

[edited 2/14/2021 | 11:15 am PST]

@msfin19 

Nope, didn’t work and crickets from TurboTax (I submitted my return to TurboTax for review). So frustrating, I paid big $ to do my own taxes, am missing $1,100 due to their software issues, and they aren’t responding or helping.

After the latest software update:

Did you get any stimulus payments? Answer “Yes”

Let’s double check the amount you received: You should have received $6,900 in both rounds (correct # finally!!)

Is this what you received? Answer “No”

What did you receive? Answer “$5800” and click “Continue”

I get a “amount you received looks right” ugh. No, it’s not, the software literally showed this on the previous screen.

EDIT: Spoke with customer service, looks like I’ll need to file a 1040x when it’s ready after 3/22. 

I am having the exact same issue. The software is contradicting itself. It says "based on the info you entered you and your spouse are eligible for $2,900 & $1,800 (i had a child in 2020). I select "no" that is not what i received. I put in received $2,400 & $1,200. Select "Continue". It say "the numbers look right? Even if i select "yes" it still says the numbers look right. 

First call- 1 hour long, lady on the phone says yes "this is a software issue" CaseID# 473   280959. Developers virtually walked through all of the "workarounds" listed in this thread. Deleted dependent, resets, ensuring 12 month lived with selections, different browsers, deleted cookies, etc. They then decided to work on it. Got an email back that said "not a software issue". They said  ""Social Security Number is not valid for employment" was checked". (NOT True, believe it or not the developers walked me through checked and unchecked during this first call & still an issue lol)

Second call- 1 hour long, lady on the call says "wow this is definitely a product issue and i am sorry for the response given by the developers. (walked through unchecked vs. check-no luck) I will be adding your name to another ticket that came in for the same issue & you should receive an email back".

1 week later, crickets. It appears that not only does turbotax have a product issue but is blatantly ignoring it. If only the developers were as useful as the representatives answering the phones. It will be interesting to see how turbotax navigates around the liability related to taxpayers not getting their full stimulus due to their recovery rebate credit code being flawed & their customers spending their time diagnosing and supplying feedback for them to just ignore it. I am starting to reach out to friends that use turbotax and had a kid in 2020 to ensure they got their credit. I am forced to use my tax professional to file properly this year due to Turbotax' inability to follow up. I wonder if the media would be interested in this topic? I'll follow up after my tax pro finalizes my documents. Good luck folks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies