turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to file my taxes TurboTax is saying that I paid excess social security tax and won't let me move forward to file my tax return I double-checked all my numbers

The formula for SS tax is $ x 0.062
My entries are correct, why is TT saying unpaid excess as tax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

Trying to file my taxes TurboTax is saying that I paid excess social security tax and won't let me move forward to file my tax return I double-checked all my numbers

If you have verified that the Social Security withheld has been entered on the W-2's correctly and you still receive the following screen with the message You may have paid too much Social Security tax in 2019 you might not need to do anything on your return.

If all of the individual W-2 Social Security withheld amounts on the W-2's equals 6.2% of the Social Security wages the total of all your W-2 Social Security withholding could exceed $8,239.80. If this is the case, you will receive a refund on your return on the excess automatically. The total needs to added for each individual on the return and not the total of all W-2's.

If the Social Security Taxes are 6.2% of the Social Security wages on any one W-2 you need to contact the employer. 

If the employer withheld too much social security you can't claim the excess as a credit against your income tax. Your employer should adjust the excess for you. If the employer doesn't adjust the over collection, you can use Form 843 - Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement  to claim a refund. IRS.gov Topic No. 608 Excess Social Security and RRTA Tax Withheld

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the reply.

TT won't let me move forward without upgrading to deluxe

I triple checked my 4 w-2 s income I submitted and multiplied them all by 0.062 and they are correct. I even changed the amounts by 1 cent and resubmitted.

They insist I paid too much, won't let me file without upgrading to deluxe?

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

Excess Social Security is reported on the 1040 Schedule 1 Part II Line 11.  See here.

It appears that any 1040 Schedule 1 requires Deluxe, Premier or Self-Employed versions of TurboTax.  See here under Schedule 1 down the left hand of the page.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mlh04

Mine is doing the same and no excess SS tax was withheld. Did you ever get a resolution? 

Level 1

Why is my social security tax high?

i need to amend my taxes & it won’t let me with out paying $59.00

@4009  What is it telling you?  Are you asking about paying Social Security tax on self employment income or is it saying you have excess SS?

For Excess Social Security 

There are 2 different situations when it will say Employer may have paid too much Social Security.  It's saying either 1 employer took out too much SS -OR- that you paid too much SS because you had more than 1 employer.  This should cover both.

More than 1 Employer:

For 2019,  If you had more than one employer and  the total of box 4 (only box 4 not box 6) on all your 2019 W2s  for Social Security is more than $8,239.80 you get the excess back on your tax return.  And it is for each spouse separately, not combined.  Check 1040 schedule 3 line 11 for it.  Then schedule 3 goes to 1040 Line 18d.  If only one employer took out more than $8,239.80 you have to get the difference back from that employer and get a corrected W2 form.

One Employer:

Check boxes 3 & 4 on your W2. Box 4 should be 6.2% of box 3 up to a max of $8,239.80.   So take the amount in box 3 and multiply it by .062. If box 4 is more than that you need to get a corrected W2 from your employer.  But also go back and double check your W2 entries, you may have entered box 3 & 4 wrong.  A lot of people who have asked this found they did enter an amount wrong.

Or check W2 box 12.  You may have entered Code A by mistake.

A sure way to fix this is to delete the W2 and re-enter it.  That may clear something out.

Or post back with the amounts in boxes 3&4.

Thank you for the detailed post!

I am having the same "overpaying on my social security tax" issue however. Thus, TurboTax is forcing me to pay/upgrade to the Deluxe version. I have triple checked my W-2 entries to ensure their accuracy, and I still get the same "required upgrade" from TurboTax.

I am filing one W-2, and I am filing as single.

On my W-2 box 3 times .062 differs from box 4 by 0.022 cents. Is that enough over pay to trigger "overpaying on social security tax"? (note: box 4 on my W-2 is not more than  $8,000.00).

If you could help me understand why I still have the overpay issue, I would appreciate it greatly!

How much is in box 3?  Try leaving off the cents in box 4.  Or reduce box 4 by $1.  

@VolvoGirl 

Box 3 is $34,999.98 and box 4 is $2,170.02.

Yeah your box 4 is 3 cents too much. Should be $2,169.99.   Employer probably rounded somewhere.  Change box 2 just to 2169.00.  You could ask the employer for the 3 cents! LOL.

@VolvoGirl 

That solved the problem! Thank you!

eperse

The SS amount is correct on my son's form. But Ttax says it is not and want him to upgrade to delex. Really for 6,000 in summer college work he has to pay $60 of a $200 return? Who do I contact abou this. He shoud only have to file a 1040 ez. 

@eperse wrote:

The SS amount is correct on my son's form. But Ttax says it is not and want him to upgrade to delex. Really for 6,000 in summer college work he has to pay $60 of a $200 return? Who do I contact abou this. He shoud only have to file a 1040 ez. 

Note - The Form 1040EZ and Form 1040A were removed after tax year 2017.  There is only the Form 1040.

Use the TurboTax Free File program since he is eligible - https://freefile.intuit.com/

If you are eligible you can use the TurboTax Free File Program which is free to file both a federal and state tax return. The Free File Program edition is a full featured personal tax program and on a separate website from the TurboTax online editions.

To qualify for free 2019 federal and state tax returns with the Free File Program, you'll need to meet at least one of these requirements:

• A maximum 2019 adjusted gross income (AGI) of $36,000; or
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
  • You served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum 2019 AGI of $69,000 (you'll also need a military-issued W-2).

See this TurboTax support FAQ on the Free File Program - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-the-turbotax-free-file-program

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the difference between the Free File Progam and the Free edition - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2572617-what-s-the-difference-between-free-file-program-and-free-e...

And see this TurboTax support FAQ on how to switch to the TurboTax Free File Program - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-free-file-program

@eperse  What are the amounts in boxes 3&4?  Try leaving off the cents in box 4.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies