turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

glick_meir
Returning Member

Translate Your Own Documents for IRS

I consider myself competent in both English and the document’s original language.  Will the IRS accept my translation of a document?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

What?   What are you trying to do?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you mail in a form in something other than english rest assured the IRS has translators ... you are not the only person who has this situation. 

glick_meir
Returning Member

I am a multi-national U.S. taxpayer. Some of the tax records are written in a foreign language. Must a U.S. taxpayer spend a large amount of time and money translating the documents into English for the IRS? The IRS, whose requirements at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf does not specify what constitutes a “certified translation”.

Well now that you have been more specific in which "docs" you are talking about ... the W-7 instructions page 3 says :

3. The documentation you provide must be current (that is, not expired).

There are 13 acceptable documents, as shown in the following table. At least one document must contain your photograph, unless you’re a dependent under age 14 (under age 18 if a student). You may later be required by the IRS to provide a certified translation of foreign-language documents.

So if that is needed you can ask the IRS about how to get it.  The IRS has translators on the payroll so unless this is written in Martian you should not have an issue.  

Damoni

A copy of the file for my stimulus check 

gasinse1
Returning Member

It depends on the quality of the translation. It's up to you. But I know exactly where and how to find a good translator. It helped me a lot that I found it without any problems and now I use it steadily both for work if I need to translate something and for personal needs as well. The translators here easily translate english to spanish and I already know they are real professionals and know what they are doing. I hope I was able to help and now I won't have any more problems!

Please follow the instructions below for a copy of your tax return after filing.

How do I get a copy of a return I filed this year ...

Rich Bake
Returning Member

I was looking for some good services! Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies