Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cgunkel27

Parents claiming as dependent

i need to edit return to reflect my parents have claimed me as dependent, please advise where on Turbo Tax to do this
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KatieB

To edit your dependent status, you will need to:

• Go to your Tax Timeline and click the Take Me to My Return button
  • Once you've got the return open, you'll click on Personal Info
  • In the Personal Info section, you'll be able to edit the information about yourself (including whether or not you'll be claimed as a dependent).

If you have already filed, you'll need to click Amend (change) Return under the Some Things You Can Do section. You'll follow the same steps as above once the return is open. You'll need to wait until you receive your refund (or pay your tax due, whichever the case may be) before Mailing in the Amended Return.

dfish2014
Returning Member

IF our parents our claiming us a dependent (because student) then on my phone do I add them as a dependent? Confused how I should amend my form to reflect them filing me as dependent. 

Do you add WHO as a dependent?  If your parents are claiming you then on your return you check the box that says YOU can be claimed on someone else's return.  You don't enter your parents on your return.  Go to My Info or Personal Info, Click Edit by your name and scroll down to #3 Can someone claim you.

Or are you asking about your own child?

Whatever you are doing now cannot be done on your phone. It is no longer possible to use online TurboTax.   Online tax preparation and e-filing are now permanently closed until the 2019 tax filing season opens.  You need to use desktop software which must be downloaded to a full PC or Mac—not to a mobile device.  It is not clear from your post whether you are trying to work on an original 2018 return, or if you need to make corrections to a 2018 return you already e-filed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

@dfish2014 as of the date of this post (Oct 23, 2019) you can't do anything with any tax return on your phone. TurboTax Online for the 2018 tax filing season is shut down permanently and forever so they can prepare the system for the 2019 tax filing season. To amend your return your only option is to download and install the CD version on a Windows or MAC computer and use that to amend your return.

Also, you can't e-file an amended return. The IRS says so. You will have to print, sign (both the 1040 1040X) and mail it to the IRS. An amended return can take 6 weeks or longer to process. So before you amend make ***SURE*** you write down your AGI. You *WILL* *NEED* *IT* in order to e-file your 2019 return. If amending your 2018 return changes your AGI then it will *NOT* be updated in the IRS computers when you attempt to e-file your 2019 tax return. You'll have to manually enter the "ORIGINAL" AGi on your 2018 tax return as it was before you amended it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies