turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The government accepted my filing, but sent me a notification via regular mail. I checked the filing against my W2s and all of the information is wrong. What should I do?

I haven't received my refund. Literally all of the information and calculations are wrong, I didn't know initially because TurboTax pulled the information directly from some W2, but it wasn't mine.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

The government accepted my filing, but sent me a notification via regular mail. I checked the filing against my W2s and all of the information is wrong. What should I do?

What?   

"I didn't know initially because TurboTax pulled the information directly from some W2, but it wasn't mine."

TurboTax provides the software for a do-it-yourself tax return.  It is your responsibility to check over the return before you submit it.  Whose W-2 did you enter?  And how did that happen?  

You say the IRS sent you a "notification" but you do not say what the letter actually tells you to do.  Did the IRS tell you to amend the return?  What does the letter instruct you to do?

Do you have your W-2?  If not, you need to get a copy from your employer.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The government notice calls into question one aspect of my W2, schedule 3, which after review I saw was completely wrong. 

I paid for premium service with TurboTax so I do NOT enter the information myself. The program pulled my W2 information directly from employer, I never saw my W2. Since I provided them with all of my personal information, it ought to have been correct, but it's not. The numbers were close to what they should have been, but ultimately not right. I do have my W2 now.

The IRS notice said not to file an amended form, but I feel like that is what should happen considering all of the information is wrong. I need to know what to do next, I do NOT need another reply trying to blame me for a TurboTax/Employer communication error (although, wow, icing on the cake after going through panic that everything is wrong, numerous phone calls to the IRS trying to understand what happened, etc., thanks so much for that).

Paying for Premier does not mean the import process works perfectly when you import W-2 data.  Anyone can import a W-2 even using the Free Edition.  Sometimes the data that is transmitted during the import process is inaccurate--the error can come from the employer end.  The user still needs to check its accuracy before filing.  It is important to obtain a hard copy of your W-2 each year.  Going forward, do not count on just importing a W-2 and not getting your own hard copy from the employer.  You are supposed to save your own copy of a W-2 for at least three years.  If you get your own copy you can check it when you import the data.

If the IRS says not to amend, why would you think you should amend?  It sounds like the IRS corrected the problem and adjusted your refund.   TurboTax does not receive any information from the IRS after you file, so we cannot see the letter the IRS sent to you.  You should follow the instructions given to you by the IRS.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

A confirmation of something you wrote:

--> do not count on just importing a W-2

Yup because I'm not going to use Turbo Tax ever again. The tone of your messages are pretty appalling.

I paid for a service that not only doesn't work as advertised but also put me in a pretty bad situation. Instead of advising me following YOUR errors, you blame me, my employer... 
Turbo tax shows me what Customer service should NOT be. 

What error happened my always remain a mystery ... however no matter what DIY program you use to complete a return it is ultimately your responsibility to review the return for errors before YOU file it ... nothing can take the place of your own eyes and brain and in the end it is you (not the program ) that signs the return attesting that it is true , correct and complete.   

1.png

What is on Schedule 3 that is wrong?  Is it line 11 for excess social security tax?  Sometimes that gets filled out wrong.  Are you married or have more than 1 W2?  

If you had more than one employer and the total of box 4 (only box 4 not box 6) on all your 2019 W2s for Social Security is more than $8,239.80 you get the excess back on your tax return. And it is for each spouse separately, not combined. 

If you filed a joint return and both spouses have W2s you have to enter each W2 under the right name or it will look like all the W2s belong to only 1 person and too much social security tax was paid for that 1 person. And by assigning both W2s to the same person the program wouldn't know a W2 is missing from the spouse. It just would think they are both for you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies