Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

.TAX FILE CORRUPTED?

@sriley231   A 2019 file you did in the Desktop program or that you downloaded from the Online version?  

If you are using the Windows Desktop program see if you have the Tilde ~ file.  It is a copy of your file, it starts with a Tilde ~ sign. Maybe you can open that one. That's in case you lose the real file so you can restore it.

sriley231
Returning Member

.TAX FILE CORRUPTED?

Thanks, VolvoGirl. Where/ how do I find the Tilde file? 

.TAX FILE CORRUPTED?

They are in the same place as your real file under Documents then in a Turbo Tax folder.  Or search your whole computer for all files ending in .tax or .tax2019.  

sriley231
Returning Member

.TAX FILE CORRUPTED?

Ok...you are a genius! Somehow I had two files labeled Turbo Tax. The one doc in the other opened. You're the best. Thanks so much!!

WellFedUp

.TAX FILE CORRUPTED?

I am getting this error using the desktop version. Everything was fine until it decided it needed to do a software update, at which point it forced the update without giving me a choice. And now it won't open the tax file I have been working on for days.

I tried opening the ~ file, same error.

How is this still a problem 6 months later? Do I now spend another 3 days doing my taxes all over just to run into the same issue again? Ridiculous.

.TAX FILE CORRUPTED?

Please use the following link to contact Customer Support for further assistance.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

WellFedUp

.TAX FILE CORRUPTED?

"Closed, please check back Monday"

Great. Except I am travelling tomorrow morning and I needed to drop my taxes off in the mail Monday morning. Their own update to "fix" itself broke things. Come on. This can't be happening for the amount you guys charge.

grok_23
Returning Member

.TAX FILE CORRUPTED?

My original TurboTax download from Amazon somehow...the software did not get titled correctly (?); consequently, when I attempt  to SAVE>File to Ronald Bayhan 20 or Tax Return 20, the system tells me: The document "Untited" could not be saved as "Ronald Bayhan 20". You can duplicate the document or discard your changes to close it." Is there a pathway to correct my blunder? Thanks

.TAX FILE CORRUPTED?

Sounds like you are on Mac?  Yes Duplicate it or change the file name in you Documents after you close Turbo Tax.  @macuser_22 

.TAX FILE CORRUPTED?

Please use the following link to contact Customer Support for further assistance.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

.TAX FILE CORRUPTED?

"Untitled" sounds like you stared a new tax return and did  not either transfer 2019 data to it or enter your personal  information prior to trying to save it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

.TAX FILE CORRUPTED?

It has to do with your computer and all security nonsense people feel like they have to put on their computer.   ALL YOU NEED IS WINDOWS SECURITY.   all that other crap blocks certain kinds of files and though a download like Turbo Tax may work, later you will find something is wrong because the security blocked a certain file that you need.    get rid of all that unneccasry stuff on your computer, NO VPN, download the program and be free.

.TAX FILE CORRUPTED?

I got the same error.  I feel like crying.  It is saved on my computer but I cannot open it in the program on my computer or online.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

.TAX FILE CORRUPTED?

Please contact TurboTax support for assistance.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DHabibi
Returning Member

.TAX FILE CORRUPTED?

Really tired of this, waiting on the phone now to talk with Intuit.  I am a software engineer so know what the heck I am doing on the computer.  Could not transfer my 2019 tax file so started from scratch entered everything saved it and even printed it.  Had to make some changes and would not open the file and was saying corrupted.  So started from scratch again and entered everything with the couple of new numbers and printed and saved.  Today needed to open and make a $32 changed to one account and file will not open again.  Really don't want to enter everything all over again and even debating about just filing old version and ignoring the $32 difference between filed return and Quickbooks.  At least got to somebody on the phone within a minute but she does not seem to have a solution either.  Offered to email my tax file to Intuit and have them deal with it there but I guess that is not an option.  Have not had this problem on this computer with any personal or business TurboTax in probably 20 years since I have been using the product or more.  If anybody found a solution like to know. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies