Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

packman
Returning Member

System runtime serialization error when trying to get updates and state file

Help please!  I'm getting this error in TurboTax.  It happens when TT tries to get an update, and also happens when it tries to fetch my state file - therefore as a result I'm not able to file my state taxes!  TT runs normally otherwise, and I was able to go through my entire federal return, but now I'm stuck with the inability to do state.

Here is the error:

Runtime error

I'm running Windows 7.  

I see mention on the TT site of a need to download MS SQL Server Compact 4.0.:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900420-error-system-runtime-serialization-serializationexception-...

I did this, including the bit about upgrading the permissions on the global.sdf file, but it did not help - I'm getting the same runtime error.

Please help!  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies
mary
Level 2

been there, done that,  what i needed to do was uninstall all other years of turbo tax software.  then tt worked perfectly.  good luck it worked for me.

packman
Returning Member

Thanks - will have to give that a shot tonight (got several years to uninstall).

packman
Returning Member

So unfortunately - it didn't work.  I even tried doing a "repair", which included a PC reboot, and am still having the same problem.    I'd like to call the TurboTax folks, but I can't seem to find a contact phone number on their website!!!  Ugh.  Will keep trying...  if anyone has any other suggestions, please post!

packman
Returning Member

Update - I talked with a TurboTax person.  She tried walking me through various attempts at things, but nothing worked.  In the end we did a workaround where I manually downloaded the state and installed it manually, and that worked.

To download the state manually - I logged into turbotax.com, went to "Intuit Account" on the lower left, then Edit of Billing and Shipping, and then "Downloads & Unlocks", this showed a link to download the state installation executable.

Unfortunately during this whole process it charged me extra for the state download!  $44.99.  I'm trying to work with them to get a credit (I had purchased Deluxe, which is supposed to include 1 state download).  They're being a pain in the rear about it, for some reason.   Waiting for a supervisor to call me back.

packman
Returning Member

Update - I did get a refund last year OK, so happy with that.

Unfortunately this year - same error.   I'm learning how this works now.  Apparently it's a problem with Windows 7, that they still haven't fixed.  The problem is when the TurboTax program goes and checks for updates; if it finds that an update is required, it gives this error, and won't allow you to fetch the update.    So one work around is to uninstall the previous version of TurboTax, go to the downloads page and re-download and install - this will install the latest version.  Then pick up where you left off, and now it allows you to continue filing without checking for software updates.

Unfortunately however one thing that still is a problem - the state return.   TurboTax treats the initial download of state software as an "update", and it gives this error again, and there's no way around it, because the one-free-state software has to be installed directly from the TurboTax program; there's no option (that I see) to install it independently.   Have to call Intuit on Monday I guess, to get this done.

(I'm filing late this year)

DJ42
Level 2

I purchased Turbotax Home and Business 2019 download from Amazon and installed it on my computer which still had Windows 7.  Subsequently I upgraded the computer to Windows 10.  I am getting the same errors as above when Turbotax tries to update or when I try to install the state software.  Any advice?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Try following the instructions in the following link.

Solved: Update and state download not working. Update ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DJ42
Level 2

DJ42
Level 2

After this week's Windows 10 updates, Turbotax again produces the System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException error when searching for updates.  Repeating the action referenced in my post just above did not resolve the issue.

This fix referenced by Support does not work when you are running Windows 10.  After it failed me, I uninstalled TurboTax 2019 and then reinstalled it again.  This time I received this error 

Intuit.Spc.Esd.WinClient.Api.GeneralException:Access to the database file is not allowed. [ 1914.File name =?  

If this happens to you, follow these instructions, it worked for me.  This has to be an Intuit software problem regardless of what Support says because the user who solved this problem was trying to install a 2017 version of Turbotax from 2 years ago, yet if fixes the problem on a 2019 version of TurboTax.  Get it together Intuit....

Please try the following steps:

1) Close TurboTax

2) Go to Task Manager, click on the "Services" tab. Try finding "IntuitUpdateServiceV4".

3) Right click on the service and click on "Stop" to stop the updater service.

4) Once the updater service is stopped, Go to "C:\ProgramData\Intuit" path and delete the "Common" folder.

5) After deletion, restart the Updater service i.e. Go to Task Manager, click on the "Services" tab. Try finding "IntuitUpdateServiceV4" ,right click on the service and then click on "Start" option.

6) Once the Updater service is started, try opening TurboTax again.

DJ42
Level 2

I deleted the Common folder and was able to update normally.  So far so good.

I get an error while trying to open turbo tax

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Your post has been forwarded to product support.

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

@GeorgeWSmith, what is the error you are getting when you try to open TurboTax?   Is this TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies