Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Update and state download not working. Update progress window just stays frozen. Is there another way to get state (using deluxe/with state product online)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

60 Replies
Boopesh

Update and state download not working. Update progress window just stays frozen. Is there another way to get state (using deluxe/with state product online)

Please try to update TurboTax manually by following the instructions given in the following FAQ. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301973

Hope this helps. 

waltzb

What about Mac users?

This solution did not work.

This didn't work for me also.  My state tax is supposed to be downloaded, but I cannot access it.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

@jlawson417 I recommend you open the program in Chrome. If you are already using Chrome, please try checking if your device meets system requirements and clearing cache and cookies. This should get you past the freeze.

@waltzb see this Troubleshoot for Mac update article

For your state issue, try reinstalling/downloading the state. @DavidD66 suggests:

For TurboTax Desktop for Mac version to remove the state:

• In the very upper menu next to the apple and TurboTax...FILE
  • Remove * State Data
  • Are you sure you want to remove it? Remove

For TurboTax Desktop for Windows version to remove the state:

• In the black ribbon, click File>Remove State Return>highlight the state, click Remove
  • Are you sure you want to proceed? Yes

There is no state tax form listed in the remove option.  My program tells me I am up to date when I import the state.

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

We recommend downloading your TurboTax for Windows software to your Desktop or Downloads folder so you can find it easily.

You can also search your system for the file:

• TurboTax Basic through Business: Search for w_turbotax
  • TurboTax State: Search for w_state(replace state with the actual state name, e.g. w_ohiow_new_york, etc.)

Still can't find it? Download it again and save it to where you know you can find it – your desktop is a good place.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/how-do-i-download-the-software-i-purchased-at-turb...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Same.  I'm super frustrated.

JVS1
Level 2

I have the same issue with Turbotax Deluxe 2019. I try to download the state and I get an Updater window saying "Getting Your State". Then I get another window saying "Your software is up to date".

However, the state is not downloaded and not available to me. Super frustrating ...

I was spending a few hours trying to figure out why the state would not work. I got it to work on a laptop but my desktop kept freezing. Forget trying to wait on hold for 1-2hrs. This fix was so easy! The repair and uninstall or deleting registry keys is a total waste of time. 

Use the method below to save yourself from your headaches

Finally figured out how to fix the state not wanting to download and it keeps refreshing to download the state.

First of all if you have an older version of Turbotax like 2018 go copy the folder named cai_18 in the forms folder 

ex:

C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\Deluxe 2018\Forms\cai_18

ex:

C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\Deluxe 2019\Forms\cai_19

If you don't have this folder you can make a new folder with that name and copy it over

I highly recommend if you can find an older TurboTax software from 2018 copy that folder into the 2019 forms

1) Start up your Turbotax 2019. Once you copy over the cai_19 folder into the forms folder, you will notice the state installation wanting to begin. Let it update.

2) It will install the California state or whatever state you are in successfully. You'll notice the program close and restart.

2) Let it install and you'll notice when you go back to update it actually installs the state correctly

3) Go back and click on your state refund (show me) and now when you click it the number will give you a actual $$ amount versus having to download the state box in a endless loop.

Problems should be solved. Your welcome.

Same/similar issue... using Turbotax 2019 Deluxe DL from Amazon.  Went through Federal, downloaded my State and it's there with a Start button but when I click on it, it gives me the whole "Let's download a State" all over again.  Goes in circles.  

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app with no luck.  

JVS1
Level 2

Hi, thanks for try to help.

I copied the cai_18 folder to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\Deluxe 2019\Forms\" folder as suggested. I started the Turbotax and it did not help to download the CA state.
Then I renamed the cai_18 folder to cai_19 and tried to start Turbotax again - also did not work :(

Any other ideas?

JVS1
Level 2

Resolved:
I called Turbotax Customer Support [phone number removed]) and explained the situation. They sent me a link for my state download - I downloaded my state and installed it. Works OK.

I'm having the same problem.   Can you provide the download link??

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies