Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Subject to AMT, Turbotax still chooses standard deduction

Using itemized would lower tax liability. See "Specific instructions - TIP" https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i6251#en_US_2021_publink64277pd0e166

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RalphH1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

You can tell TurboTax you wish to itemize, regardless of the fact that the Standard Deduction is higher. To do this, click on the “Search” field at the top of your screen, type in “itemized deductions, choosing,” and then select the “Jump to itemized deductions, choosing” link. You’ll see verbiage telling you about the higher Standard amount, but also a “Change my deduction” checkbox.

There’s also an “Why would I change my deduction” link on that page, which discusses the possible state implications, which HelenC brought up earlier. These include the possibility of a higher state tax, as well your state refund being taxable next year because of itemizing (which could be more than you save with the AMT...). So there can be a judgement call to make, and since the state return isn’t even started yet when the federal one is in progress, TurboTax is set up to let the user handle this.

@LXXVII, I get what you’re saying, but hopefully doing it manually (as described above) works for you... 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

It may be that you need to itemize to benefit you on your state tax return. Some states require you to itemized on the federal return to allow you to do the same on the state return.

It is possible the higher standard deduction is not a benefit to you for reasons such as you have already reduced your taxable income to zero by taking the smaller itemized deduction.

I am sure there is a good explanation, but you need someone to look over the tax return to discover what it is. To contact TurboTax, click here

Source: Employee Tax Expert ThomasM125

See the IRS tip I posted the link to: "If you owe AMT, you may be able to lower your total tax (regular tax plus AMT) by claiming itemized deductions on Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR, even if your total itemized deductions are less than the standard deduction. This is because the standard deduction isn’t allowed for the AMT and, if you claim the standard deduction on Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR, you can’t claim itemized deductions for the AMT."

...in my case this is true, but Turbotax is not choosing it. Tsk Tsk!

RalphH1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

You can tell TurboTax you wish to itemize, regardless of the fact that the Standard Deduction is higher. To do this, click on the “Search” field at the top of your screen, type in “itemized deductions, choosing,” and then select the “Jump to itemized deductions, choosing” link. You’ll see verbiage telling you about the higher Standard amount, but also a “Change my deduction” checkbox.

There’s also an “Why would I change my deduction” link on that page, which discusses the possible state implications, which HelenC brought up earlier. These include the possibility of a higher state tax, as well your state refund being taxable next year because of itemizing (which could be more than you save with the AMT...). So there can be a judgement call to make, and since the state return isn’t even started yet when the federal one is in progress, TurboTax is set up to let the user handle this.

@LXXVII, I get what you’re saying, but hopefully doing it manually (as described above) works for you... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies