turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GeoLinna
Returning Member

stuck in a loop: "occupation has too many characters"

Trying to file my Arizona federal and state, but Turbotax gives me this:

Hidden Federal Transfer Wks: Taxpayer's occupation has too many characters.

I can't e-file until this little problem is fixed.  Clicking "fix" does nothing.  Editing my 1099 or 1040 does nothing. My 1099 is listed as "art", and my 1040 is listed as "teacher"  How is this too long?  

Customer service e-mailed my issue back to me, and told me to refresh my browser, clear history, and delete cookies.  That didn't work either.

My only option is to call the help line. Intuit has already lost me as a customer for next year, so I don't want to spend another $50 to address their programming failure.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
GinaG
Intuit Alumni

Hi there!  I'm sorry you are experiencing difficulties.  If you go to the section where your occupation was entered and highlight the box where your occupation is entered and then select delete and/or backspace, you should be able to clear out the error.  Occasionally an extra space can sneak in and throw off the character number.  Let me know if this doesn't work and we'll try some additional steps.

I'm stuck in the exact same loop and it's incredibly frustrating. I'm about to just redo everything on some other website.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Please go back into the "My Info" section and click Edit next to your name. 

Delete the entry in the "Occupation" box and enter something shorter. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If you go to the section where your occupation was entered and highlight the box where your occupation is entered and then select delete and/or backspace, you should be able to clear out the error.    Use an abbreviated description - that field does nothing on your tax return; it is collected just to compile statistics.   So, it does not matter at all what you enter there.    @Brycycle

I am having the same issue and there is no place that I in put an occupation name and I cannot get to any part of the form to fix it. INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING

@leighabohn wrote:

I am having the same issue and there is no place that I in put an occupation name and I cannot get to any part of the form to fix it. INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING

The Occupation entry is in the My Info section of the online tax return.  Click on My Info and edit your personal information.

I'm having the same issue and changing the occupation does nothing... you cant just add or delete characters. It forces you to choose an occupation from a list (which makes this issue even more ridiculous). I've tried changing the occupation 3 times now, i've tried signing out and signing back in, i've tried deleting all of my cookies and closing the browser then signing back in again. Nothing is making this issue go away. I'm about 5 minutes away from going with HR Block instead at this point. I've used turbotax for 5 years in a row and never had issues like this. Very Frustrating.

is everyone else's screen different than mine or something? there is no option to delete the occupation field. and if it doesn't even matter why am i being forced to fix it otherwise have to mail in my return like this is 1990?

@jmurphy938 wrote:

is everyone else's screen different than mine or something? there is no option to delete the occupation field. and if it doesn't even matter why am i being forced to fix it otherwise have to mail in my return like this is 1990?

First of all, what are you trying to do and why??

We don't know what screen you are looking at.  Is it one of the 2 screens below?

Are you trying to make a correction to the occupation shown in the MY INFO section?

It does not force you to choose from a list.  The dropdown list is just suggestions and examples based on the first few characters you entered.  You can ignore that dropdown. 

Is it one of these screens?

occupation2.pngoccupation.png

its the second one. the my info screen. you are correct you can put whatever you want in that field however you cannot delete the field. i can delete the words out of the occupation field and try to leave it blank but then it tells me im missing info and wont let me file until i fix it. even with there being NO characters or words or anything in the field if i go to "fix my arizona return" it STILL says there are too many characters. something is clearly wrong with the software, not the user. in this instance at least. i tried changing the occupation to several different jobs from the dropdown list, that didnt work. i tried typing in "Regional Service Director", that didnt work. i tried leaving it blank, that didnt work. it makes no sense.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Try this and see if this clears the issue for you.  Please log completely out of TurboTax.  Then, in your browser, please clear your cache and delete your cookies.  After this, close completely out of the browser.  Re-open everything including logging back into TurboTax.   Also, you can try completing your return in a different browser as well.  

For further instructions on how to clear cache and delete cookies, please see the links below:

Clear Cache

Delete Cookies

@jmurphy938 wrote:

its the second one. the my info screen. you are correct you can put whatever you want in that field however you cannot delete the field. i can delete the words out of the occupation field and try to leave it blank but then it tells me im missing info and wont let me file until i fix it. even with there being NO characters or words or anything in the field if i go to "fix my arizona return" it STILL says there are too many characters. something is clearly wrong with the software, not the user. in this instance at least. i tried changing the occupation to several different jobs from the dropdown list, that didnt work. i tried typing in "Regional Service Director", that didnt work. i tried leaving it blank, that didnt work. it makes no sense.

If you continue to have problems after the browser suggestions provided by TurboTax Heather PLO in her comment, please phone TurboTax Support during business hours so they can assist you in realtime.

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Or use this contact form to get a phone number:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Same here.  The recommended fix does nothing.  I can't even use delete/backspace in the field on the form.  Editing it back in personal info does not work either.  

TurboTax needs to spend a bit more time debugging and a little less time lobbying the government to keep taxes complex.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

If you have attempted the suggested steps and they still are not working for you, we would like to take a closer look at your specific situation, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible.  

@ThisSoftwareIsTheWorst

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies