turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Soon to be ex husband won't give his adjusted gross income so I can file my state taxes

What do I need to do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Soon to be ex husband won't give his adjusted gross income so I can file my state taxes

-del-

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

You can find your 2018 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) by:

• Looking at line 7 on page 2 of your 2018 Form 1040; or
  • You can request a transcript of your 2018 tax return from the IRS to ensure you have the right number. You can request your transcript online at the following link: Get Transcript 

Check these items as well to ensure you have the correct number.  If you:

• Filed late last year after mid-November or your return was processed after that time—try entering 0.
  • Amended your return last year—make sure you’re using the AGI from your original return, not the amended one. (If you only have a 1040X form, it’s on line 1, column A).
  • Rounded your AGI to the nearest dollar—be sure to round up when it’s 50 cents or more and down when it’s 49 cents or less.
  • Filed with your spouse last year—you and your spouse have the same 2018 AGI. (Don’t split the AGI amount or enter 0 for one of you).

Time-saving Tip: If what you entered is correct and you continue to get a reject, you won't be able to e-file. There's probably a data mismatch at the government, or some other situation beyond your control that prevents your return from being e-filed. In this case, your only option would be to print and mail in your return.

This article will give you instruction on how to print and mail your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It's almost like the person providing this answer can't read.....

The spouse WON'T provide their AGI.....

I'd love to know this also, my ex wont give me his AGI and I can't file without it. Am I just screwed??

I finally got this resolved for my taxes last year.  Ended up calling the department of taxation in VA and the lady told me I should put my filing status as single since we weren't filing together so there was no need for his AGI, or just put it as $0

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Finding the adjusted gross income for the prior year, when you filed jointly with your soon to be 'ex' can be done by obtaining an IRS Transcript. Both taxpayer and spouse are allowed to obtain this from the IRS.

• To obtain is an IRS Transcript, click the link to get started.  A transcript will show whether or not your tax return has posted in the IRS database.

To be clear, filing single is not an optional choice you get to make if you are not divorced on December 31, 2020.  To review your filing status options use this link: What is my filing status?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DianeW777 

I think you are greatly missing the point:
The user does not need LAST year's AGI, she needs THIS years AGI because Intuit, in all their infinite wisdom, does not allow you to leave your spouses AGI blank when MFS.

I'm no tax expert, but I am able to read the actual 1040 form and instructions, as well as supplementary info and all signs point to not having to enter your spouses AGI when MFS. 

@wandabrady1 

I didn't contact the VA Dept. of Taxation, however they do have a MFS option and it does not require you to enter your spouses AGI. I don't believe you are allowed to file single if you are Married and your state return has to match your federal filing status in VA.

Once again, I'm no tax expert, but my insight is provided by my reading of the instructions they provide for completing the tax forms.

Thanks for following up though, what filing status did you file your federal return? I'm curious because of my current situation.

I wish Intuit would provide an official answer to requiring the spouses AGI when MFS since the discussion forums here don't explicitly provide fruitful guidance.

• I filed head of household 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies