turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reporting non W2G gambling income

Hello,

When people report non W2G gambling income ( so from their own source records and no IR) have you ever had an issue with a government agency, be it IRS or your state, questioning the EXCESS unreported you reported?

I would appreciate if we could stick to the question, i know its reportable.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

The minimum you have to report on gambling winnings is the total of all W-2G forms you received during the year  but you can always report more than that and the IRS is agreeable to your doing so. In 30 years of doing taxes I have not see the IRS audit anyone for being honest in this matter.

Reporting taxable income on tax return without a form received for the income is not an issue. 

Millions of taxpayers report on their tax returns each year receiving taxable income where the IRS and/or State will not have any records of that income being received by the taxpayer.  This is usually is from self-employed people who report the cash they receive for services rendered from clients.  The same goes for gambling income received being reported on a tax return with no W-2G or Form 1099 being issued.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies