Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unchbo
Returning Member

Previous year unfinished return

I realized this year that I never finalized and submitted last years online “Self Employed” return. I paid for the online “Self Employed” program through Quickbooks. I have downloaded the unfinished pdf and .tax files. I realize I need to print and mail the return. My question is, do I have to buy another downloadable copy of “Self Employed” to finish and print the return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you have a previous year's return that has not been filed and you paid for the TurboTax program, I would contact customer support and ask them to transfer a copy of the TurboTax Desktop CD/Download to your account so that you can finish. 

The program you are looking for is called TurboTax Desktop Home and Business. The best way to contact customer support is through the program or here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Unchbo
Returning Member

Unfortunately all of the customer service runs through an AI loop that doesn't offer any option except to purchase a new program. I've called the number with the code I received and have been emailed links on two occasions now. None of the links offer any solution that doesn't involve purchasing the download.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

No, you do not have to buy another copy of TurboTax to complete your unfinished tax returns.  You can sign into your account using the user ID and password you used when you started your return.  If you do not have or remember your ID and or password this link Account Recovery Request for your TurboTax Account  has information on how to recover your TurboTax account.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Unchbo
Returning Member

I do have my account password. I've pretty much finished this year's taxes. I got to the AGI part and realized I didn't send last year's. The AGI numbers on record wouldn't work since the previous return wasn't submitted. I know I can use zeros. I have downloaded the unfinished 2018 .PDF and .tax. there is no link that opens the 2018 return.

@Unchbo wrote:

I do have my account password. I've pretty much finished this year's taxes. I got to the AGI part and realized I didn't send last year's. The AGI numbers on record wouldn't work since the previous return wasn't submitted. I know I can use zeros. I have downloaded the unfinished 2018 .PDF and .tax. there is no link that opens the 2018 return.

The tax data file for 2018 (.tax2018) can only be opened by the 2018 TurboTax software.  If you purchased one of the 2018 online editions of Deluxe or higher then TurboTax support can push a 2018 installation file to your download account at no charge so that you can finish the 2018 tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on how to contact Support - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3401489

If the 2018 return was basically completed and if you want you can print the 2018 tax return from the PDF and mail it to the IRS.

Print, sign, date and mail the tax return to the IRS.  Include with the mailed return any forms W-2 and 1099 which have taxes withheld.  Go to this IRS website for mailing addresses - https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

There are no penalties for filing a tax return after the due date if filing for a tax refund or there are no taxes owed.

Unchbo
Returning Member

Thanks DoninGA. I understand all of the readily available information. I have been through the AI rabbit hole 3 times now to no avail. Going through "contact us" in my online account leads to AI generated responses that are not helpful, even if I choose "talk with a human". You guys have been great. Unfortunately nobody has told me how to speak to a human to expedite the 2018 "Self Help" download to my account. The 2018 return is basically finished; however I would like to walk through it again before I finalize and print it.

Unchbo
Returning Member

Sorry not "Self Help" the version I purchased is "Self Employed"

@Unchbo wrote:

Sorry not "Self Help" the version I purchased is "Self Employed"

Should not be that hard to speak with a support agent with this type of issue.

Try this -

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Edit the product to what you are using this year or what you used last year, ie Online & Self-Employed

Enter the problem and click Continue.

On the following screen enter your personal information and any other information on the problem.  Click on Get the phone number

The next screen will have a toll free number and your Support Incident number.

Give it a try, can't hurt at this point in time.

Unchbo
Returning Member

You are correct on every step. Then I call the number, give my support number and the AI asks for more information and proceeds to email or text me unhelpful links. The last time I even chose "Talk to a Human" in the contact discourse. I was given a support phone number and case number. I called and got the same Robot which emailed me a link to buy a download. No option to speak to a human.

@Unchbo wrote:

You are correct on every step. Then I call the number, give my support number and the AI asks for more information and proceeds to email or text me unhelpful links. The last time I even chose "Talk to a Human" in the contact discourse. I was given a support phone number and case number. I called and got the same Robot which emailed me a link to buy a download. No option to speak to a human.

That is certainly not the way to get someone help with a problem....Let me see what I can do.  I'll contact a TurboTax Moderator so that they can review this thread.

Unchbo
Returning Member

I was finally able to talk to a human. I had to enter "speak to a human" at every prompt. I spoke to a representative for 20 minutes. So, for future reference @LeonardS and @DoninGA  they cannot add the 2018 software to my online account. They apparently have no method for me to edit my 2018 return without buying another copy of the software. Either CD or download.

• How can I open up this form on my computer? 

@patriciaanderson492 wrote:
  • How can I open up this form on my computer? 

Without any explanation, we don't know what all you are trying to do.  Please explain in full.   This is a public Internet forum, so don't post any personal info.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies